fuel pum issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning
I have a 67 FJ40 with 85 2F engine.
My truck sat idle for about 6 months due to other some accelerator cable issues that it took me forever to fix.
When finally fixed, it would not start. Noticed that fuel was not even getting to the carb. Filled up tank as the gas had evaporated: still nothing.
I just finished replacing all the lines, line filter and pump with after market pump bought at O'Reillys.
Still don't get any fuel to pump even when putting line directly in a gas jerrican.
I'm very newbie so don't get what's happening here.
Anu suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If you disconnect the fuel line before the filter do you get any fuel out of the tank? If not try blowing some compressed air up the line toward the tank. You should hear air bubbles in the tank and when air is disconnected should get fuel out of the line. If no bubbles in the tank then the line is plugged or kinked.

If you disconnect the fuel line before the filter do you get any fuel out of the tank? If not try blowing some compressed air up the line toward the tank. You should hear air bubbles in the tank and when air is disconnected should get fuel out of the line. If no bubbles in the tank then the line is plugged or kinked.
yes i do. That's what i don't understand. When rolling it, the fuel filter does not even fill up like pump is not pumping.

When you installed the fuel pump did you ensure the arm was against the eccentric that drives it?

1682188846889.png

Fuel should flow by gravity from the tank to the pump. You need several gallons in the tank to get above the minimum sump level and reach the outflow tube. If you don't have fuel flowing freely when you remove the inlet line from the pump, you have either a blocked line or not enough fuel to reach the line. If you can blow air into the tank, the line is most likely not blocked. (I wouldn't use compressed air, unless it's at a very low pressure)

'85 2F engine; -do you know if the spacer gasket between the engine block and the pump body is in place?
The rocker arm may have broken off.

how can i make sure of that?
When I installed mine, just inserted it keeping that rocker arm as close as I could to the wall of the block. Hooking it up and in, if that makes sense. I guess where that eccentric stopped in it’s rotation can make it a tighter fit.

When I installed mine, just inserted it keeping that rocker arm as close as I could to the wall of the block. Hooking it up and in, if that makes sense. I guess where that eccentric stopped in it’s rotation can make it a tighter fit.
i would say that's what i did.

Does the pump need to be primed? I used to have to crank and crank and crank to get fuel pressure until I added an electric fuel pump to the line at the lowest point before my mechanical pump. I switch it on for a few seconds to build pressure in the line--you can tell by the sound it makes that the fuel pressure is up--then start the engine and switch it off. Quicker start and major battery saver, if nothing else.

Does the pump need to be primed? I used to have to crank and crank and crank to get fuel pressure until I added an electric fuel pump to the line at the lowest point before my mechanical pump. I switch it on for a few seconds to build pressure in the line--you can tell by the sound it makes that the fuel pressure is up--then start the engine and switch it off. Quicker start and major battery saver, if nothing else.
that's what i was wondering. but i've cranked a lot and still nothing.
any suggestions for electric fuel pump?

could be faulty part. Mechanical fuel pump should be pulling something. If you take it off and actuate it manually do you feel any suction?

It will be slight, but you should here or feel air pumping through by pumping the arm by hand

A $50 Facet solid state fuel pump will help a lot and give you redundancy for just in case. I also added a large reserve fuel tank under the rear deck with a diverter valve and the electric pump can also be used to move fuel to a can or vehicle as needed.

it does not need primed on a stock 2F gas engine, as @Malleus stated, tank pressure provides enough head to cause a continuous slow trickle to the filter/pump. If you loosen the fuel line at the filter it should flow out slowly (on stock 2f fj40). Can you confirm fuel is reaching the lines up by the pump?

Another thought is, make sure the old pump didnt leave the gasket/spacer on there and that you are not running 2 spacers. I know it was difficult for me to see when I swapped one out last fall. spacing is critical.

how many fuel lines are on the pump? 2 or 3?
2 lines does not use a spacer
3 lines uses a spacer

if you installed a 2 line pump with a spacer, it will not work
if you installed a 3 line pump without a spacer, you would need a new pump

Thanks everybody!
Ended up ordering an OEM pump and installed it today.
My baby is back purring on the road.

Let’s see Tech Photos of your new OEM 23100- and then we can all know that OEM Genuine KYOSAN is simply the way to H55F gitty up and GO !!

Good for you my friend

I really like OEM Genuine KYOSAN Mechanical Fuel Pumps a lot too …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom