Fuel pressure(running rich) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1979 2f with electric fuel pump. Just rebuilt the carb. Vehicle runs rich and blows excess water/fuel/ carbon out the tail pipe. It is not oil. It has been desmoged by p.o. the fuel pump specs are 1-4.5 lbs pressure. Compression is good in all cylinders. Valve adj. Just done.
Could the desmog cause it to run rich?
Could the fuel pressure be too high?
When I got the vehicle it did have some fuel in the oil. Flushed system. And has fresh oil now so will watch for that issue returning.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I am trying to help you without making assumptions. You appear to be new to the forum, so I’ll start off by saying I am a competitor to SOR, and I don’t know what brand of kits they offer. Chances are it was a Keyster, which is ok for the basics (accelerator pump is often not the right size)

What I can say is that the 1979 carb comes with the biggest primary jet of any Landcruiser: 1.65. Even the non-US no smog 2F carbs were only jetted 1.50. Meaning that it’s the EASIEST carburetor to run rich if things aren’t working properly.

Establish a baseline of your manifold vacuum. There is a minimum required to make fuel draft properly through the idle circuit.

I am trying to help you without making assumptions. You appear to be new to the forum, so I’ll start off by saying I am a competitor to SOR, and I don’t know what brand of kits they offer. Chances are it was a Keyster, which is ok for the basics (accelerator pump is often not the right size)

What I can say is that the 1979 carb comes with the biggest primary jet of any Landcruiser: 1.65. Even the non-US no smog 2F carbs were only jetted 1.50. Meaning that it’s the EASIEST carburetor to run rich if things aren’t working properly.

Establish a baseline of your manifold vacuum. There is a minimum required to make fuel draft properly through the idle circuit.
Awesome. This is much appreciated information!
Thanks

20211014_192539.jpg
20211014_192539.jpg
20211014_192515.jpg
20211014_192515.jpg

Sorry for the double images. I only used the Walker kit for the gasket that goes between the two sections of carb. All else came from the Keystar kit. I replaced fuel pump last night and is not blowing near the stuff out of tail pipe but now is idling inconsistently between about 500 and 800 rpm.

Sorry for the double images. I only used the Walker kit for the gasket that goes between the two sections of carb. All else came from the Keystar kit. I replaced fuel pump last night and is not blowing near the stuff out of tail pipe but now is idling inconsistently between about 500 and 800 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom