Fuel pressure(running rich) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1979 2f with electric fuel pump. Just rebuilt the carb. Vehicle runs rich and blows excess water/fuel/ carbon out the tail pipe. It is not oil. It has been desmoged by p.o. the fuel pump specs are 1-4.5 lbs pressure. Compression is good in all cylinders. Valve adj. Just done.
Could the desmog cause it to run rich?
Could the fuel pressure be too high?
When I got the vehicle it did have some fuel in the oil. Flushed system. And has fresh oil now so will watch for that issue returning.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Does it still have the factory fuel pump, or is that gone with the electric pump addition? Does it have the factory (or any) fuel return still installed?

Does it still have the factory fuel pump, or is that gone with the electric pump addition? Does it have the factory (or any) fuel return still installed?
Factory fuel pump still on engine with the return line in tact but there is no return line for the electric pump.

Since you have a stock pump in place, I think I’d start by bypassing the electric pump to see what happens.

If fuel in the oil it’s probably either leaking from the fuel pump into the engine or maybe down the carb.

If it has a sight glass in the carb it will be easy to tell if the pressure is too high for the float needle valve. The level will not remain half way in the glass, and will fully cover the window, and flood fuel down the carb throat . If you have a pressure regulator, it might need adjusting to a lower pressure setting.

*** Most electric pumps have too much pressure if used without a pressure regulator, unless you use a T with an adjustable flow rate going to the fuel return line.

Last edited:
OEM pumps can fail in such a way as to let fuel into the oil. Sorry, wasn’t referring to the electric pump.

And luck solving this?

Could the desmog cause it to run rich?

Not if was done competently.

It probably has something to do with vacumme emissions systems being ripped out.

Not likely at all; there is nothing there that would affect fuel pressure or delivery.

As has been said, reconnect/replace the stock mechanical fuel pump. If that doesn't fix it, then it is a carb issue, most likely the float level or a bad float needle seat.

Not if was done competently.

Not likely at all; there is nothing there that would affect fuel pressure or delivery.

As has been said, reconnect/replace the stock mechanical fuel pump. If that doesn't fix it, then it is a carb issue, most likely the float level or a bad float needle seat.
I just rebuilt the carb thinking that was the problem. Adjusted the float level. And replaced float needle seat.
I don't think it's a pressure issue but by going back stock will eliminate that variable. I did not do the desmog so can't tell if it was done correctly. If not done correctly can it cause it to run rich? Tons of black soot is blowing out tail pipe with a heavy gas smell.

Which rebuild kit did you use?

So, it came in a box/bag with no identification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom