fuel percolation in Weber carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All! It's been quite a while since the last time I've posted to MUD. I've been lurking lots lately, and now have a question.

I have always had and issue with fuel percolation in my weber carb. Just some brief history: The previous owner of my '78 FJ40 had desmogged (kinda...sorta...) the truck many years ago. The smog pump's gone, along with a whole host of other things including the original carb. Not sure why, but the carb. fan timer/controller was also removed, so I'm looking for one of those if anyone has a bead on one!

My issue is that sometimes after I drive the cruiser for a while and then park it, it won't start again for some time. (If it does finally start, it has next to ZERO power and feels like it's not running on all cylinders... ) A few minutes after you shut the engine off, you can hear fuel boiling / percolating within the carb. If it's parked in an enclosed garage while this is happening there is a strong smell of fuel in the air. I've attached a picture showing where the fuel is pushing out.

Today, after I parked it and heard the fuel percolating, I also noticed that fuel appeared to be bubbling it's way out between the spacers under the carb...yikes! My question is this: Would fuel coming out between the spaces be related to the percolation? Or, are both the percolation and the fuel bubbling out both just related to the heat coming up from the exhaust manifold?

Either way, I'm really looking for opinions on if anyone else has had a similar issue and what they did to solve it.

MANY THANKS in advance for any info!
Jason
carb.jpg

the valve and seat may need adjustment. like it is not closing and fuel is running out of the bowl.
you try tightening the nuts?
on hot hot days in a fuel system, if there is no vent, fuel along with vapor finds a way out. does that thing have a vented gas cap? does it have the charcol container for fuel vapor?

common symptoms of a defective heat riser.......

I had the same problem with hot starts, but mine didn't leak like that. After I installed a 6 into 1 header the boiling gas problem went away. Easier to start and the hesitstion went away. I have a Weber 32/36.

I had the same problem with hot starts, but mine didn't leak like that. After I installed a 6 into 1 header the boiling gas problem went away. Easier to start and the hesitstion went away. I have a Weber 32/36.

with the header install you removed the heat riser from the equation........

Interesting.....thanks for the info! I've thought about replacing the stock exhaust manifold with a header. What brand did you go with? Also, do you no longer need a heat riser when you go with a header?

Thanks!!

Awesome! Thanks grant5127.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom