Fuel mileage and big tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i went from 235's to 33's, this is the first time i filled up since i got the tires and man i think the math came out to about 9 miles to the gallon, from about 13. So the question is how off is my trip odometer in miles? That might have something to do with the horrible gas mileage. I also used the sea foam and i think my pluges might be fowled so i will change them next week. Thanks.

so then if i go 100 miles and i use 10 gallons would i multiply 10 by 15 or divide 10 by 15?

If you had 33s, 100 miles on the odometer on 10 gallons of gas is (100/10) x 1.15 = 11.5 mpg.

ok makes sense thanks for the info.

Sorry to hijack, but dose Toyota have diffreant spedo drive gears to comensate for tire/gear changes?
Thanks
Jonathan

I have 33's and I am 11 mph slow on the reading at 55mph. My gps showw me doing 66

I have 33's and I am 11 mph slow on the reading at 55mph. My gps showw me doing 66

So you're saying you're about 20% off. Which can be in the range as tire manufacturers are all over the board with what 33" means to them. Tire pressure affects it as well.

I was getting about 16-17mpg on stock tires and dropped to about 14-15mpg when i went to BFG AT-KO 33x10.5s. It drops further to about 12-13 when fully loaded for expeditions with the tent and rack on top. Wheeling is about 10-11mpg.

The only accurate way to really work out your fuel consumption numbers is to use an accurate GPS to get your odo calibrated. You may be surprised at what your actual compensation factor really is. But from what you said 15% is probably pretty close.

I never really cared about mpg. Its not my daily driver. I do keep track of the miles I go on a tank to make sure everything is constant. I can get about 215 miles on a tank by my odo wich is off because of the tires. I have the factory gears.

I wish I could get 215 on a tank. I am running at about 180 or so. Maybe 190 if I am light on the accelerator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom