Fuel line replacement 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a problem with replacing the fuel line system in a 74 FJ40 with all rubber lines. My hard lines are crunched and I have a large amount of marine grade fuel line available here. I have a 2 inch body lift and ample room to run lines without worrying about clearance issues. Any potential issues or is this a big problem?

Thanks in advance

Tom
74 FJ40

Is there a problem with replacing the fuel line system in a 74 FJ40 with all rubber lines. My hard lines are crunched and I have a large amount of marine grade fuel line available here. I have a 2 inch body lift and ample room to run lines without worrying about clearance issues. Any potential issues or is this a big problem?

Thanks in advance

Tom
74 FJ40

My 71 is all rubber lines.

Supposedly, the ethanol content in gas now can degrade the rubber over time, but it's all pretty accessible and easy to replace segments.

I replaced everything under the truck with custom big-bore brake lines and the rest is high pressure rubber (extra thick even though it only carries 4 psi). I think you'll probably be ok though. Just brink 10 ft extra, some barb to barbs, and zip ties with you in case you get snagged on a stump and rip 'em.

Fuel line replacement

Are you guys running the fuel evaporator/separator piece? I cannot seem to find mine from the tear down. Running a Chevy V8 and figured I would try to use it again. The p/o had bypassed it.

Thanks
Tom

Wow, kinda expensive way to avoid ethanol... :)

yea well I had the fuel line problems once and the only thing we could think that caused it was the gas so in the long run it is way cheaper than having a truck that runs like $hit :D

plus I dont drive my truck even close to enough to make a difference. which is sad

Steve, you can find ethanol free gas at local marinas.

MN has it at ever gas station. all our 91 oct. has no ethanol in it. (well I shouldnt say all, but each that does not has a special sticker by it)

Not down here! only up nort! :mad:

I think I'll pass. I am using hard line for 99% of my fuel run so I'll chance it :)

I am with you. The PO of my truck put in a electric fuel pump and all rubber lines. I plan to go back to mechanical pump and either braided steel or hard lines, safer in my opinion. But I do drive the s*** out of my truck and wheel it like a Pansy according to Poser. ;p

At least you get to wheel it. Mine is waiting funds for a new tranny.

But I think we have walked all over this post now. Sorry.

Don't go all hose if you don't have to. Use as much hard line as possible to avoid hose issues if you can. Many people use steel brake tubing. My original hard lines were still good so I reused them. Lots of people do use all hose and get away with it, but if you do some searching you will find just as many posts from people who had failures after going all hose.

That said I still have a small section of the original 40 year old hose connected at the tank outlet because of the odd tank nipple thread issue.

I am with you. The PO of my truck put in a electric fuel pump and all rubber lines. I plan to go back to mechanical pump and either braided steel or hard lines, safer in my opinion. But I do drive the **** out of my truck and wheel it like a Pansy according to Poser. ;p

Unless you are buying real old fuel lines, like over 20 years old ethanol should not hurt them at all. A new rubber fuel line should not dry out or have problems with 100% ethanol. Now if you have old rubber fuel lines for over 20 years ago it might start to dry them out causing them to crack.

Unless you are buying real old fuel lines, like over 20 years old ethanol should not hurt them at all. A new rubber fuel line should not dry out or have problems with 100% ethanol. Now if you have old rubber fuel lines for over 20 years ago it might start to dry them out causing them to crack.

well I am telling you it messed up min... I am not even old enough to own 20 yr old gas lines. :)

but I do agree with you but "should" and "do" some times is the problem...

although I have not completely convinced that I just bought bad lines the first time.

Are you guys running the fuel evaporator/separator piece? I cannot seem to find mine from the tear down. Running a Chevy V8 and figured I would try to use it again. The p/o had bypassed it.

Thanks
Tom

I run a SBC with a Holley electric fuel pump and rubber lines. I do run that evaporator/separator piece, its always been in there. Always tried to avoid the ethanol gasoline but have had to resort to it at times. The combo I have has been in there 3 years and never had a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom