Fuel Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today when I got home I noticed some fluid on the concrete under my 1997 FZJ80. I went to check it out and it was fuel. The upper, front, passenger side corner of the fuel tank is wet with fuel. Has anyone had issues with fuel tanks leaking? I don't recall reading anything about this. Can fuel tanks be repaired, or is it something that just needs to be replaced?

Vent time: I'm so frustrated right now. I was gone for 2 months of training (in the Army), I get home and my LC wouldn't start. Battery went dead. Used this as an excuse to pick up a Die Hard Platinum battery at Sears. 2 days later, I find this fuel leak. Grrrrr! Oh well, it has always been my experience that when it comes to car repairs, it always comes in waves. Done venting.

Thank you first for your service to our country!

With the tank there are several items which could be the problem, and it may not be all that bad. Access to the suspect areas can be via under the PS side of the truck, looking up, and in some cases via the access panel under the middle-row of seats and carpet (which have to be removed). Here is what I would check.

1. Fuel and vent lines going into the tank and into the hardlines for leaks. Under truck and access panel. Look especially for any rodent gnawing, as it has been stored, and those beasts love rubber hose. If the lines show signs of decay, replace them now. Check the main filler and vent lines at the rear of the tank too.

2. Tank sender unit gasket. This is under the access panel, and is quick and easy to replace. Might as well also replace the high-pressure fuel line banjo gaskets, and fuel sock while you are in there. Parts relatively cheap and available from Mr. T.

3. Tank seams. See if there is fuel seeping from any of the seams. This is rare, but can happen if the system overpressures due to the charcoal canister not venting properly. Known issue, and has caused more than one tank to split. Local shop "may" be able to repair, but may not. Used tanks can be sourced, but be sure it is not a rust-bucket, or you will have a different headache on your hands. New tanks are not cheap, but can be purchased from Toyota IIRC. If this is the case, search on Charcoal Canister as there is a good thread about replacing with a GM unit for much less than Toyota (and it appears to work better).

4. General tank leaks. Any rock bashes to the tank or skid plate?

Numbers 1 & 2 only require basic tools and minimal time...3 & 4 are much more indepth, and would require dropping the tank to fix.

:cheers:

Steve

I developed a leak last year after a trail run, but mine is leaking from one of the fuel/vent lines due to corrosion where it passes over one of the frame cross members. It only leaks when the tank is completely full. I doubt that this is your case though living in WA.

Thanks CycloSteve. I will check 1, 2 and 3. It does appear to be leaking from the seam. I have a "Toyota" guy in the area that helps me out with things above my head. So far he's proven to be pretty resourceful. Hopefully he can source a new tank, if it's needed, for not too much. There appears to be no dings or dents from rocks bashing it. Thanks again for the tips.

In addition to what others have suggested, the tanks can leak from a stress crack where there several curves in the stamping of the tank the metal was streched to thin in the die during production. I had the problem for a long time. As long as I don't fill the tank above 2/3 and keep it level everything is ok. Tanks can be fixed using several methods such as fiberglass patch, epoxy type coating poored into the empty tank etc.. The problem is that you really need to drop the front of the tank if not completely. At that point it may be better to just replace with one from a bone yard or from someone that has upgraded to a larger capacity tank. There also is a plastic rollover valve on the top of the tank but I ruled that out in my case. Funny thing when I open the tank to refill it still has a pressure or vacuum with the tank empty ????

Check this thread.... posts #16 and #20 specifically

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/225705-leaking-gas-top-tank.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom