Fuel Leak Help - Photo & Video Included (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some help in diagnosing (and how to fix) a fuel leak on my '78 FJ (10/77 build date).

Have a fuel leak that I just noticed last week; I believe this is only occurring when the tank is filled above a certain amount (the leak didn't occur to be happening prior to me filling up the tank). You can see in the photo, taken from underneath the car on the drivers side looking towards front of the vehicle, that fuel is coming off of a line, then dripping onto the crossmember and then dropping to the ground on the drivers side.
IMG_3074.jpg

The video is taken from the passenger side, showing the rubber (?) line where it looks like fuel is coming from and dripping onto the crossmember.

Any assistance as to what has failed and what the remedy is, much appreciated.

Thanks

the fuel line has a hole in.
replace the line with one that doesn't have a hole in it.

one of those lines is fuel supply to the pump, the other is a return from the carb...its very likely your leak is in the return line.
the supply comes off the tank low, the return taps in about half way up the side....hence the reason you only notice with it about half a tank.
looking under the drivers seat towards the fuel, you should be able to see both lines in the tank.

Last edited:
the fuel line has a hole in.
replace the line with one that doesn't have a hole in it.

one of those lines is fuel supply to the pump, the other is a return from the carb...its very likely your leak is in the return line.
the supply comes off the tank low, the return taps in about half way up the side....hence the reason you only notice with it about half a tank.
looking under the drivers seat towards the fuel, you should be able to see both lines in the tank.

Much appreciated, Brian. Any specific instructions replacing the line or is it as simple as removing the old line and putting on a new one? No special steps needed?

Thanks - tried searching but couldn't find the specific line sizes (5/16"?) - do you have sizes/links to replacement lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom