Fuel injection?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.
I have been dealing with a lot of carb issues, one after the other. I had it rebuilt a year ago. not driven it too much. Then I started to have everything tuned and brought into spec. The carb has bucked the whole way... and now looks like it will have to be rebuilt again to fix some more problems.. so... I’m strongly considering putting in fuel injection. I’ve looked up different threads on the search but everything seems to be someone cobbling a kit together from other trucks or 2 kits that I can’t figure out what they are. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to a kit or a good simple (ish) way to do that.

Hello all.
I have been dealing with a lot of carb issues, one after the other. I had it rebuilt a year ago. not driven it too much. Then I started to have everything tuned and brought into spec. The carb has bucked the whole way... and now looks like it will have to be rebuilt again to fix some more problems.. so... I’m strongly considering putting in fuel injection. I’ve looked up different threads on the search but everything seems to be someone cobbling a kit together from other trucks or 2 kits that I can’t figure out what they are. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to a kit or a good simple (ish) way to do that.

Mosley Motors, contact @FJ60Cam for help with a Holley Sniper 2300 kit. Pleanty of recent threads on here about them.

who rebuilt your carb a year ago?
I'm thinking like above you need to get everything reset to know where your actual issues are, don't just go blaming the carb.
vacumn leaks, timing, etc

It was rebuilt by a fellow in Burbank. I no longer have his info. I’ve moved since then. I am down to the carb because after multiple tune ups with my tech, we have replaced some bad parts, dialed in others to Toyota spec. And after looking, the main jet in the carb is not spraying, but pouring fuel. Sadly. I’m just to the point I’d like it semi reliable. I really like to drive the cruiser when it’s not down for parts.

so after the carb was rebuilt and installed, my guess is some bad gas or some other gunk got run into/thru the carb.

if you want to spend the money and think it is worth going with fuel injection, go ahead, I'll stick with my carbs

Ok cruiserboy, I’ll go ahead and agitate some purist for you. A thousand years ago when I worked for Toyota, a Toyota mechanic wouldn’t rebuild a land cruiser carburetor, they made you buy a new one because they couldn’t get the old one to hold the rebuild. Along comes ih8mud and two things happen: 1. A zillion guys post about their poo poo factory carburetors, and 2. A couple guys here on mud become gurus at rebuilding factory carburetors. Since then though there is still an over abundance of 1. Guys loving factory carburetors, 2. Guys still rebuilding their factory carburetors, sometimes multiple times, and 3. Everybody now going sniper fuel injection. When and if you get ready to install a sniper keep in mind I sell the installation kits that include everything you did not get from sniper- - -easy deal.

I've worked on cruisers since about 76' starting w/ OEM carbs, Holley 2300 (I'm good with these but..), Weber, then v-8's. I love Q-jets for performance (Holly's if you like tinkering). Went with friends to Moab, was often the go to field guy for q-jets, Edelbrocks, Hollys... I'm in the "F#$% carbs" camp now, and I'm really good with them. In Colorado there is a bias as we are tuning at +/-5,000' and driving to 10,000' elevation.. as I said F#$% carbs.

I learned (Bosch) Fuel injection on early VW's and a couple of newer BMW's. After fighting all those carb brands (and early OEM), fuel injection doesn't seem so hard. I am a Sniper fan but have not installed one yet (held onto carbs through the Howell et al iterations) but I am building a new home and shop and LC builds are on back burner.

Gonna put a Sniper on a new crate Vortec (w Comp Cams TBI Cam) I purchased for my 69 FJ40, once I get axle stretch and suspension done. I had already had a GM TBI system purchased and Throttle Body remanufactured, but I like the Sniper learning and "all in one" approach.

Anyone that want's to get into Fuel Injection, and is the type that wants to know "what's going on" should read (or reference) "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management: How to Understand, Service and Modify". It explains clearly the theory and process's. Bosch really are the original designers of RELIABLE fuel injection; (not that early mechanical system on Corvettes but I'd love to play with one!)

I want to put a sniper on my SBC Boat too! (yes they have a USCG approval, I was shocked, and yes the high pressure fuel line will be the most important part!)

Bob in CO

@Jdc1 i had rebuilt/refreshed the whole fuel system first thing as there was gunk in my tank. Boiled and coated tank, all new fuel pump, new soft lines, cleaned out hard lines, ran threw multiple fuel filters, till it was all clear. I was very worried about contamination. Then I sent off the carb.

@rlong what’s a TBI system? I’ve heard this on a few threads.

Throttle Body Injection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom