Fuel gauge reads too low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking at every post in here and can't find anyone that has the same weird problem.
My fuel gauge (1985 HJ60 24v) reads too low. Even when full it only goes up to 2/3 and drops to empty after 300 km.
I have put another fuel sender unit in, tested that it works, cleaned the connectors. Then I took the dash out and measured volts and ohms, as described in previous threads. The readings are far off what they should be. The sender is getting about 24v instead of around 3.5 and the ohms are around 152. This is with a full tank of diesel. Do anyone have an idea of what I can try next? I would love to sort this out.

Cheers!

20210523_164443.jpg

20210523_164926.jpg

20210523_164852.jpg

The Toyota body manual has troubleshooting procedures for the fuel gauge.
Here's the testing procedures for the 12V FJ60 fuel gauge. I'll bet the 24V HJ60 gauge is very similar.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• FJ60-Fuel Gauge.pdf
    769.3 KB · Views: 53
Ok, seems like my gauge is shot then. Do anyone know if the white block to the right in the picture is some fuse I can replace?

Cheers

Allright, I think I need to replace the gauge then. It should be providing 3.5 V instead of 24.

Fuel guage and temp guage seem to fail hand in hand. It seems others have recently been met with this issue. I think the wireing harness is at the age of weird affects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom