Fuel Gauge Off or Smaller Than OEM Tank Capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1995 FJ80 manual says the fuel tank capacity is 25.1 gallons, but when the gauge shows Empty, it usually takes around 17 gallons to fill up. Is my gauge not calibrated correctly, or could the tank be smaller than advertised?

Thats how mine shows. If i get real close to E then ill usually put in about 17 gallons. If I run it til the light comes on, which will put it well below E then ill usually put in about 21 so im at the same 5 gallons left when light comes on. Get a spare can of gas and run it till it dies. You will be amazed at how far below E you will go.

Normal. 5 gallons still in the tank when the light comes on.

For my rig, when the light comes on, it usually means I have about ~5 gallons left in the tank

Are you waiting for the light to come on?

No...with the way it sucks down gas like there's no tomorrow, I never wanted to temp fate. Thanks for the info!

Thats how mine shows. If i get real close to E then ill usually put in about 17 gallons. If I run it til the light comes on, which will put it well below E then ill usually put in about 21 so im at the same 5 gallons left when light comes on. Get a spare can of gas and run it till it dies. You will be amazed at how far below E you will go.

Good to know! Thanks!

No...with the way it sucks down gas like there's no tomorrow, I never wanted to temp fate. Thanks for the info!
Just FYI: You can make it another mile on the interstate once it starts sputtering. Bump it into neutral, shut it off before it dies. After you slow to about 20 MPH, start it and floor it back up to 55+, then shut it off. Coast more until it's almost stopped on the shoulder. Try to restart. If it starts, bang it into gear and go for it until it dies. If it dies again, bump the brakes hard once while cranking to get the remnants of gas to run under the pump pickup one more time. Never, at any time put the shifter in park to try to start. Only in neutral so your're not actually stopped. If you have to stop such as coming up the exit ramp, roll backward to the bottom where it's more level and restart. Once it starts, don;t stop.

I've done the above procedure more than once and literally rolled to a stop, dead, in front of the pump. (I think I'm up to four times now)

I can say for certain that these tanks hold 25.2 gallons when filled from completely empty until no more will go in.

^ killed any fuel pumps lately? :)

But, brings back 'fond' memories of driving back to the city after an outing with a mate of mine years ago. He was hoping to find fuel in a small town and using less fuel than he planned, both plans were fails. Anyhow, we were on a country road, drive to top of a hill gently, switch off engine and roll in neutral as far as possible, drive to top of next hill, etc. Of course this was a carbie vehicle (old landrover - cough) with many other landrover 'issues'... We did make it without pushing :)

cheers,
george.

^ killed any fuel pumps lately? :)

But, brings back 'fond' memories of driving back to the city after an outing with a mate of mine years ago. He was hoping to find fuel in a small town and using less fuel than he planned, both plans were fails. Anyhow, we were on a country road, drive to top of a hill gently, switch off engine and roll in neutral as far as possible, drive to top of next hill, etc. Of course this was a carbie vehicle (old landrover - cough) with many other landrover 'issues'... We did make it without pushing :)

cheers,
george.
Not yet.

303K Miles on the original. I checked the filter sock about 50K ago and it was clean as a whistle. I've put on 107K myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom