Fuel gauge issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I'm having some intermittent problems with my primary fuel tank gauge, every now and then the needle just drops straight down to below empty, and sometimes it pauses on a random level, the only way I know when it's empty is when the fuel light comes on. Anyone got a good starting point for some fault finding? I'd rather not rip the dash apart before I explore all other avenues.

Thanks in advance!

Mines currently not working, but I had some issues before and it was related to the wiring at the top of the tank being corroded.

If I recall you will be undoing four bolts to remove a mid row seat and then have to roll carpet up for a few more screws and an access hatch to get to it.

Once there you can simply wiggle wires around while your kid or partner watches the gauge to see if it has an impact to identify the source of the issue. It could be the gauge or wiring between them, but my money is on the screw terminals at the top of the tank.

Mines currently not working, but I had some issues before and it was related to the wiring at the top of the tank being corroded.

If I recall you will be undoing four bolts to remove a mid row seat and then have to roll carpet up for a few more screws and an access hatch to get to it.

Once there you can simply wiggle wires around while your kid or partner watches the gauge to see if it has an impact to identify the source of the issue. It could be the gauge or wiring between them, but my money is on the screw terminals at the top of the tank.
Thanks for the reply mate, I actually pulled the seats out this arvo and had a little fidget with the wiring in there, made up a new earth strap and cleaned out the connecting plugs. I found out today the hard way (ran out of fuel) that the fuel gauge was stuck and the light was telling the truth. Also worked out that the transfer pump from the sub to the main wasn't working, and after pulling off the line going into the main tank I've ascertained that the pump is running but it's not actually pulling fuel into the main tank. I will need to see if there's a blockage in the line or something.

There is definitely fuel in the sub tank, it holds 150L and I put about 75 into it the other day. And the pump from the sub won't turn on when there's no fuel in there anyway so I can rule that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom