Fuel gauge incorrect reading, sending unit replaced- HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1999 Land Cruiser.
I searched and searched. Found plenty of threads about faulty sending units and replacing them but nothing about the persisting issue.

A couple of weeks ago I ran out of gas on the highway, although my fuel gauge read that I still had 1/4 tank. I took it to a shop here in Houston that specializes in Toyota 4X4's. They assumed that the issue was the sending unit, pulled and tested it, which confirmed that the reading was off. After replacing it, the gauge now reads just over 1/2 tank, even when completely full. They examined the wiring up to the cluster and told me that everything looks fine. The shop owner suspects that the problem is in the instrument cluster and recommended that I find someone to rebuild it or find a used cluster from a part out and swap it in.

I have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole experience, however, my main focus is getting the issue resolved.

Has anyone experienced this and have some insight or direction for me?

Also, if I swap clusters, is there a way to change the odo reading so that it is accurate to my vehicle?

Thanks!

I had something similar and it turned out to be one of the wires at the connector between fuel sending unit and main harness had become brittle and broke. The connection is under the vehicle attached to frame rail.

I had something similar and it turned out to be one of the wires at the connector between fuel sending unit and main harness had become brittle and broke. The connection is under the vehicle attached to frame rail.
Okay, I'll give the harness an inspection. The shop assured me that the wiring looks good from sending unit to cluster, but it can't hurt and I honestly don't know how confident I am in their thoroughness... Thanks!

Also try resetting your main dash wiring harness connector. Involves removing trim & just tweaking the dash to connector compression screws.
Okay, I'll give it a shot. Will these compression screws be pretty self evident once I get the trip off and locate the harness?

i did a quick search under speedometer. That's where I saw reference to cluster seating.

I can't do a more detailed search now, but remind me in a few days if you haven't located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom