Fuel Fume Inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

There's a fuel like smell inside the cabin, when I normally drive the 40 cruiser I would smell like petrol after. I've removed the seats (and they stink of fuel)
Checked the fuel lines and I cant find any leaks or cracks on the hoses.
Now I've replaced the seats with a Mitsubishi FTO ones now I really want to sort out the smell as I dont want the seats to stink again.

I know its an old 40 landcruiser but I still want to minimise the stinkiness.

1 cause Im thinking is I dont have the stock charcoal canister as I have a different engine. Can I just put an aftermarket replacement?
also which hose attaches to the canister?

Please advice

thanks

Last edited:
pull the tank and check for pin hole leaks. I bet there are a couple. it's pretty common.

I dunno what year your cruiser is but my 72 had a braided fuel line coming off the tank. It was almost impossible to see if there were any cracks through the braids. Sure enough thats what was leaking though... good luck...

Have you checked around your "evaporative emission control device"? Its close to where the fuel filler neck is, three hoses going to a collector, one of them might be cracked or off releasing some vapor.

will check that, if thats good it should really only be the canister right?
Im thinking of just grabbing any carbon canister and plug the hose coming from the emission control device on the fuel tank to the canister and not connect it to the carby...would that be OK?

Sure the inlet neck hose is OK?

Even new ones can have a slight leak as they settle in, requiring a little tightening of the clamps now and then for a while.

X2 on checking the bottom of the tank for pin holes. I had the exact issue with my '72 and the tank had numerous holes in the bottom.

generally I have found it to be overfilling, combined with an old, cracked seal/gasket on the sending unit.

ok double checked the 40 still has the fuel vapor separator but the one on the left hand side of the separator has been blocked off and 1 of the 3 hoses on the tank (the one on the right closer to the tunnel is blocked off) guessing this hose goes to the left hand side of the vapor separator. Do they need to be connected in order? or it doesnt matter.

then the hose for the canister is still connected on the separator but no canister in the engine bay anymore so this hose is just hanging on the inside of the guard (engine bay)

ps.
my 40 has a Ford 351 cleveland with a holley carby.

Last edited:
I would try to set up a canister under the hood, and check the sending unit & gasket. Are you running a steel tank or poly tank? If it's steel, they are known to develop pin holes on the bottom from years of use, moisture accumulation between the tank and the insulating material used when the Fj40's were produced. If you are running a poly tank, make sure the sending unit is not over tightened, it causes gas fumes to escape when it builds up a little pressure.

I can put a canister yeah....

how about the separator with one being blocked off and the other vent hose as well.

is this OK or do I need to get a new separator?

Can I get a "T" piece and connect two hoses together to the separator?

x6 on pin leaks

also check along seams. I don't know if you can get it down under but "Seal All" will permanantly seal small leaks (Large ones for a while too).

There should be no gas smell inside your cab... much less enough to stink up your seats.

Last edited:
ok double checked the 40 still has the fuel vapor separator but the one on the left hand side of the separator has been blocked off and 1 of the 3 hoses on the tank (the one on the right closer to the tunnel is blocked off) guessing this hose goes to the left hand side of the vapor separator. Do they need to be connected in order? or it doesnt matter.

then the hose for the canister is still connected on the separator but no canister in the engine bay anymore so this hose is just hanging on the inside of the guard (engine bay)

ps.
my 40 has a Ford 351 cleveland with a holley carby.

Can you post any pics? I have a slight gas smell also.. just figured it was the nature of these rigs. Mine is a '71, so it's pre-smog, so I might not have some of this stuff.. but I wonder if I have some of these hoses open or disconnected? I have a main tank, under the passenger seat :eek: and an aux tank under the rear.

I'll check my main tank and try to post some pics. But, my rig is unavailable for a bit.. while getting a bit-o-paint. Can you post some pics of your tank and these hoses?

Have you checked around your "evaporative emission control device"? Its close to where the fuel filler neck is, three hoses going to a collector, one of them might be cracked or off releasing some vapor.

The plastic cracks where the hoses attach, at least on mine they did.

If you are not using it make sure the fittings are all capped and hoses plugged otherwise you will get vapor smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom