Fuel Flow Meter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a way to meter the rate of gas flowing into the motor. It doesn't have to show the rate of fuel in numbers, just a way tell if gas is flowing slow or fast. I want to read it from the dash.
On the high$$$ cars they show mpg and gallons used. I don't need that but if the sensor could be fitted to the 1FZ, I could use a amp meter or what ever signal it sends out.
I want to play with different timing, overdrive on and off and other s to see if it changes the rate of gas used. I want to max the MPG.
kurt

I Knew Photoman would have the answer.
I have seen them but with the word airplane they have to jack the price up so when the plane crashes they are covered when the lawyer start to sue. I seen them for boats too. I was looking for something I could get cheap from junk yard.
kurt

yes I am cheap :-*

Kurt -
I recommend trying a vacuum gauge first. Unless you are dead set on a computer with the ability to do whiz-bang instant mpg calculations, a vacuum gauge will give you much more meaningful info. Just my .02. BigMac

I see JCWhittney has a vac guage with MPG on it. Does vac change with the amount of fuel being used? ie; When driving at 30pmh, turning on and off the O/D will change the rpm, with 285 tires and stock diff gears, will it get better mpg on or off? The rpm is higher with O/D off, but O/D on, will the motor lug and take more gas?
kurt

Kurt,
Give me 10 seconds and I will tell you all I know about vacuum gauges. If I remember correctly pertaining to gas mileage, they just give you an idea of throttle position. If the gauge reads zero that means your deep in the throttle and hence your gas mileage will suffer.
Just a thought on the flow meter. You would think they would have airplane junkyards, oops, salvage yards for old planes and ones that did other bad things. It might be possible to pick up a complete unit there for less $$$ especially since it's not for airplane use.
Bill

Would preheating the gas do anything for mi? Run the fuel line to radiator. I don't know what temp gas boils. There are stories about heating gas and it ups the mpg. Is this hodwarsh?
kurt

Kurt,
Wow, times must change. Many moons ago when I raced we used to rig up something called a cool can. I would get a 3 lb. coffee can and run a large coil of the gas line through it on it's way to the carb. Fill the can with ice before making a run down the strip. The thinking then was cold gas - as cold as you could get it produced more horsepower. The gas was compressed by being cold and you could get more of a charge in the cylinders, or so the thinking went.
Bill

If you expand it far enough you will save money on your funeral as there won't be as many pieces to bury.
Bill

Kurt,
It's getting increasingly hard to tell when you are serious, when you are joking, and when you are off in left field picking daisies.

>> I was looking for something I could get cheap from junk yard. <<

Assuming you're serious.... BigMac's suggestion of a vacuum guage will be your best bet for monitoring fuel economy and still paying enough attention to the driving that you don't kill yourself trying to decipher some computer screens. If you go with the vacuum guage there are several options that I can recall in the 70's Caddy's. One in particular might be neat to try if you can find a 76-ish Seville. They had a dual LED set up in the center of the dash with a green and an amber LED somehow hooked to a vacuum guage. Should be cheap at a boneyard. Any number of 70's vintage vehicles had vacuum guages; that was during the gas crisis if you'll recall.

-B-

I don't kill flowers, I pic them. I was going to send a pic but I don't see how to send it now, something is missing from the Post Reply.

I wanted to play with timing, try MSD box and other "so called" ways to save gas. As my mpg goes from 12 to 14 it would be hard to tell if there was a slight gain. I am on a budget and don't want to spend a lot of $$, but always wanted to play/experiment with ways to improve mpg. If any vehicle needs it, the 80 does. Maybe there is now way to improve, others want more power, (i am not a power freek) I want to save gas $ but I don't want to get rid of the gas sucking items I have like ARB bumper,mud tires,etc.
kurt

Kurt,

>> I don't kill flowers, I pic them. <<

As Bill suggested, you could be pushing up daisys if you're not careful. ::)

-B-

Some of us can. :D

url]

-B-

As for 'pushing up daisys' I was spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid on the 60, cleaning some oil off. The motor was running. It has a HEI dist. and I thought it was sealed. It wasn't. There was a small explosion and then the dist cap was on fire along with the side cover of motor. I blew out the flames and there was no damage execpt for my pride as the family heard the explosion and looked out the window of the house.
kurt

Kurt,
Convince Landpimp to give me either one of these beauties and I'll tell you how.

url]

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom