1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fuel filters

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 73lndcrsr, Feb 3, 2004.

1. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

I had a small issue this past weekend. My fuel filters and pump froze. I have somehow gotten water in the line.

My question:
    Is there some kind of separator I can run to get the water out, just in case it happens again? I was told there is a sediment filter for tractors that may work, but i can't seem to find one yet. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what did you do to help correct it.

Thanks.

2. TonkaC

TonkaC

for my vehicles I keep the tank full as much as posible. The more air in your tank the more condensation can occur. I put in an Iso-heat every couple of weeks and that keeps mine from freezing up. You can pick up them for about $.99 each from local autoparts stores. I live in northern NY and southern ON so it loves to get friggin cold here. just my .02

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Good advice, Heet is another product that will get it out, but prevention is the better solution. They're all just methyl alcohol in which both water and gas will dissolve. Most tractors and therefore tractor/farm supply joints have glass bowl sediment filters. The water goes to the bottom. Should install between tank and fuel pump, ideally, but that does not put it in a very servicable spot. I also have a particulate filter right before the carb.
    Ed :)

4. TonkaC

TonkaC

Just a note, Land Cruisers don't suffer from this but a good little bit of info. Heat is methyl and the ISO one is isopropil. On newer vehicles that are labelled "flex fuel" you can not run the methyl ones at all, you need to run the Iso. it will mess up the sensor system I believe. I just know my owners manual tells me not to run it.

Again, not really important for cruisers but if anyone has newer vehicles in the fleet it could help.

5. MJM

MJM SILVER Star

Go with a marine water seperator. Most/all boats have them they can be had at www.westmarine.com or www.boatus.com. The filters are last a long time and every now and then you loosen a bolt and the water flows out. If they fill up with water completely water will get into the engine. Do not ask me how I know.
    HTH
    MJM

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I use a Racor on my boat, its about the size of a oil filter. I agree with keeping the tank full, when I pull my boat in the winter I fill it up and toss a can of Heet in it.

[quote author=MJM link=board=1;threadid=10955;start=msg98438#msg98438 date=1075821950]
    Go with a marine water seperator. Most/all boats have them they can be had at www.westmarine.com or www.boatus.com. The filters are last a long time and every now and then you loosen a bolt and the water flows out. If they fill up with water completely water will get into the engine. Do not ask me how I know.
    HTH
    MJM

[/quote]

7. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking for a filter.

8. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Water will tend to be at the bottom of the tank. If you have a lot, you can drain off the bottom couple of gallons from the drain plug and get rid of a lot.

9. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

I did not have any issues after I got the pump thawed out, so I am hoping I don't have any more water. I just want to put something in place to catch it next time.

Thanks again for the replies.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">