Fuel Filter Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing the contats on the starter and decided to replace the fuel filter as well since there was more room with the the starter out. Not a job for the hurried.
Here is a pic of what came out of the filter with 91Kmi.

yuck!

minehas 107k on the clock I am sure it has never been changed, got a new one will be doing this soon

Out of curiousity, did you find it better to break loose the lines on the filter first, or the bolts to the mounting plate first? Thanks. Any other tricks? I'm getting ready to do this to the cruiser for the first time so any scraped knuckle knowledge you would like to share would be appreciated!

Turbocruiser,

I posted pics a few days ago of a fuel filter with the mounting holes slotted. I think it was Christo or Robbie that said the slots made installation easier. Let me know if I need to repost the pic.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12771;start=msg117663#msg117663 date=1078808703]

Turbocruiser,

I posted pics a few days ago of a fuel filter with the mounting holes slotted. I think it was Christo or Robbie that said the slots made installation easier. Let me know if I need to repost the pic.

-B-
[/quote]

Cool, Thanks B, I looked for that thread and found it! Makes perfect sense how having the slot there would help with installation. What I am still trying to figure out is if it is safer ( better for the hoses or something ) to break loose the connections that go to the filter while the filter is securely mounted and then break loose the bolts that secure the filter? There was someone, I think Eduardo, who mentioned that he always loosens the fuel lines first. Anyway, as always, I'm over-anal-yzing the whole thing! Thanks again though, I appreciate the reminder.

Turbocruiser,

This link is pretty comprehensive on the fuel filter. Pay close attention to reply #12 from Christo as he specifically answers your question.

-B-

EDIT* -B- got it and is on the ball as ushual

I have not done this yet so take my advise for what it is, I was looking at the filter recently seams to me that you would want to loosen the lines wile the filter is securely mounted, the filter and its bracket are very sturdy the fuel lines are less so, if you dismounted the filter first you wrenching load will be absorbed by the fuel line not good IMO but it may not matter

the filter comes with new sealing washers for the banjo fittings

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12771;start=msg117703#msg117703 date=1078810838]
Turbocruiser,

This link is pretty comprehensive on the fuel filter. Pay close attention to reply #12 from Christo as he specifically answers your question.

-B-
[/quote]

Wow, thanks again B! Perfect advice and perfectly helpful. I appreciate it.

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=12771;start=msg117656#msg117656 date=1078808302]
Out of curiousity, did you find it better to break loose the lines on the filter first, or the bolts to the mounting plate first? Thanks. Any other tricks? I'm getting ready to do this to the cruiser for the first time so any scraped knuckle knowledge you would like to share would be appreciated!
[/quote]

Turbo,
Looks like B took car of you. Sorry for the late reply. I thougth the 22RE motor was a pain but this job took the cake.

Turbocruiser,
It's a fairly easy job. I did not slot the mounting bracket, but it sure would make getting the one bolt started a lot easier. I also used a combination of 3/8" extensions, and worked from the underside ( eye protection is a good idea on this one :doh:)
and like everyone mentioned do the fuel lines first, If I recall I figured that out afterwards :doh:

Every time these fuel filter threads come up I have to chuckle. When I was traveling with my cruiser I would routinely change the filter, laying in the weeds with the mosquitos and black flys buzzing around and I never realized what a hard job it was until I read about it on the forum. Ya get a little gas running down your arms, your wife won't like your new smell, so what's the downside?

Bill

Bill,
How could we even compare! You are the only man I know who can run down and catch a Cruiser :D

... and pull it back up a 25% grade to it's designated parking spot among the black flies and mosquitos.

:D

-B-

That's better than when I got the bright idea to carefully throw a spare tire down off the rack instead of struggling down the ladder with it. That was about four years ago and that tire is probably still rolling somewhere. :D

Bill

Well folks, just finished the fuel filter replacement. Thanks to the advice and assistance from the fine folks here and especially thanks to Christo's slot suggestion, I got the thing replaced relatively easily. There is a lot of contortionism (sp?) involved but I found that the front axle makes a comfortably lovely cradle for the back of the neck! Seriously, with the slot there and with a wide arrangement of extensions, spring swivels, sockets etc it is relatively easy replacement. Thanks for all the advice. BTW, the gas that came out was completely clean ... makes me feel good that the other owner was good to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom