Fuel filter location on ‘82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where is the fuel filter located on a 1982 FJ40? It will start when gas is manually put into the carburetor, but then it quits. Hope it’s an easy fix since it is my snowplow vehicle and I live in an area that can get a lot of snow from September to May.

just above the frame rail below the battery on the passenger side. look for the fuel pump (which also might be the culprit) and follow the soft line towards the fire wall

^^^
Yes, do this. Do you still have the stock mechanical pump…or an non OEM electric pump.

John McVicker, my receipt from Napa Auto Parts says the replaced fuel pump is a manual. My son replaced it for me 12/19. Before my husband passed, he took care of all of our vehicles so I’m totally out of my comfort zone.

Curious being a plow vehicle has it been sitting for a long time? When the last time gas was added to the fuel tank?
Probably since late April or early May. And now I realize I should have started it once a month. Although previously it always started no matter how long it sat. I guess I just took it for granted. My neighbor added gas today.

@pennywallin it would be unusual for a new fuel pump to fail after only 2 years…not unheard of but unusual. I would look at your fuel filter…pull the hose off the fuel line after the filter, put the hose in a bottle and have someone turn the key and crank the engine to see if fuel freely comes out. If not, replace the filter…less than $10.

EDIT: after rereading my above paragraph, I did not say what I was trying to say and cranking the engine while this fuel line is unattached from the input side of the fuel pump WILL NOT pump fuel thru the fuel filter. So not a valid test of the fuel filter. So go to my next paragraph, do that test and report back if fuel is coming out of the fuel pump (at the side of the pump closest to the radiator) while cranking the engine. If not, then we will need to determine if it’s the filter or the pump that is bad.

If the filter is good, do the same type of test removing the fuel line AFTER the fuel pump to see if fuel is getting up to the carburetor, if still good then you will need to look at the carburetor.

One domino at a time. You might need some help, but overall it’s fairly straightforward.

Last edited:
@pennywallin it would be unusual for a new fuel pump to fail after only 2 years…not unheard of but unusual. I would look at your fuel filter…pull the hose off the fuel line after the filter, put the hose in a bottle and have someone turn the key and crank the engine to see if fuel freely comes out. If not, replace the filter…less than $10.

If the filter is good, do the same type of test removing the fuel line AFTER the fuel pump to see if fuel is getting up to the carburetor, if still good then you will need to look at the carburetor.

One domino at a time. You might need some help, but overall it’s fairly straightforward.
Thank you John!

You should post in the Colorado section of mud to see if anyone is close to you and would help you diagnose quickly on-site. What part of Colorado are you in? I’ll be be in Denver and the Granby area in a few weeks…if your close I’d help…

You should post in the Colorado section of mud to see if anyone is close to you and would help you diagnose quickly on-site. What part of Colorado are you in? I’ll be be in Denver and the Granby area in a few weeks…if your close I’d help…

Unfortunately I live 50 miles west of Colorado Springs. Actually another 10 miles west of Lake George.
How do I navigate to the Colorado section? Thank you.

Gas today is really awful and i have seen quite a few fuel pumps, even OEM fail from sitting for a few months. Same thing with carbs getting gummed up.

Is this the club in the Durango area?

Edit maybe this isn’t so close…
Dura go is the southwest side of Colorado. I’m located in the middle, west of Colorado Springs. I have located the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Which side of the fuel filter do I disconnect…..the fuel pump side or the firewall side. I so wish I had paid more attention when my husband worked on our vehicles.

Last edited:
I would disconnect the fuel line from the filter at the fuel pump. Have a locking pliers or some way of clamping line in case lots of gas comes out.
If no, or little gas comes out, reattach hose and disconnect at filter inlet. Checking to see if the filter is the problem or elsewhere.

T
I would disconnect the fuel line from the filter at the fuel pump. Have a locking pliers or some way of clamping line in case lots of gas comes out.
If no, or little gas comes out, reattach hose and disconnect at filter inlet. Checking to see if the filter is the problem or elsewhere.
Thank you very much for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom