Fuel Filter Element for '75 B Engine, and what to do about the filth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Going through my new to me BJ40, changing all the fluids, filters, etc. Finally got around to the fuel filter and... wow.
May have to order them by the case as dirty as this one is.

I am struggling to find the right element to replace this one with. Does anybody know what the part number is for OEM or replacements from NAPA or somewhere else?
I looked in the diesel parts number FAQ with no luck. I've searched the Google and have had no luck.

Feel free to comment on my best course of action regarding the rusty filth that is present. Extra in line filters?

20210314_205341.jpg

@DEADSALT Are you sure? The B engine manual page on the fuel filter looks exactly like what I have :

1615831516286.png

ah, your truck is imported from Costa Rica
never seen anything like that on a B or a 3B
looks like the H diesels and forklifts also use 04234-48012

Thanks @Onur - very helpful. I was hoping you'd see this and post the part number :) My local dealer has trouble finding parts for the ROW Toyota's. 'bout the only way they can find them is if I show up with a part number. 7-10 days out, but at least it's on order. Now I'm going to try and find one that can get here sooner.

And yeah, @DEADSALT , it is from CR and the H diesels looked similar, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help as always.

Russ

‘what to do with the filth’ ...... luckily you have 7-10 days to deal it before your new filter arrives;

there is a small filter on the inlet of the IP - clean/replace

primer pump - replace (Bosch or OEM)

lines from tank - replace

lines from IP to filter - replace

fuel tank - clean thoroughly/likely replace

That filter has been ignored for years and/or has had bad fuel through it many times over. Which brings into question of what's on the bottom of the fuel tank? I would drop the tank and flush it. You may need a few filters to clean it out.
If the filters are going to be scarce or expensive, I would swap to a generic type like the Delphi 296

Yeah.. @roscoFJ73 .. it's definitely been ignored for years. And who knows about the fuel. Good call on the sacrificial filters. I'll get a few of those. (Walmart.com had fuel filters sourced from "Forklift Parts and Equipment" that cross-referenced to the part number Onur provided - $10 a piece plus shipping. Not cheap, but not too bad. I got three)

I have almost a full tank of fuel in it at this point. Probably run that through a couple of filters, then drop the tank and clean it out as best I can.

I know I should do everything @DEADSALT suggested, but I'll start with cleaning the filter on the IP, then the tank. Maybe I'll do the lines then.

Was really hoping to have this baby running well before the summer gets going.

I need more time! :)

Last edited:
Update.. I received all of my filters. The ones from Walmat.com referenced above are almost exactly like the Toyota filter sourced from the dealer with the part number @Onur provided. So, i'm using the cheap filters until I can clean out the tank, then I'll run my nice, new OEM filter.

I also installed an line filter I picked up from Napa - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3972 to get a better idea of what's in my tank. Also added in some diesel fuel treatment. I soaked the filter with some Liqui Moly diesel purge before I primed it. By the way, I love the hand pump function. Pretty cool analog technology.

The inline filter was a good call as it is clearly showing some rusty sediment coming through the line. It settles and the fuel itself doesn't look cloudy, but the tank needs to be cleaned. I may run this tank through it change the inline filter again and then see where we are.

Overall, it's running considerably better. It was really bogging down at times going up hills and just in general. That's been resolved.

20210327_150214.jpg

Tons more sediment in the fuel filter after 60 miles of driving. Definitely need to flush the tank and possibly replace the lines.

It had been driving great for a few days until yesterday afternoon after a drive that warmed it up. Was running great, then a quick stop and the 2nd drive after maybe 45 minutes rest and it was back to being extremely sluggish.

Feels like fuel starvation as when it's running good, I get some black smoke under heavy acceleration from running rich I assume. When it's sluggish, there's no smoke and the pedal seems to have more resistance (that may just be my imagination)

Anywho, I'm a bit cash-strapped. Is there any value in taking apart and cleaning the fuel feed pump and/or the injection pump? I cleaned the little screen filter leading into the pump. Is there a rebuild kit out there? Should I get a Bosch replacement?

(edit - no way I'm going to rebuild the injection pump, looks way to complex for me. I'll change out the diaphragm, clean the tank and see where i am at that point)

Last edited:
I would clean the tank, blow through the fuel lines and see how it goes before touching the pump. Dont replace the fuel lines unless they need doing. Filters should be stopping the crud. But I wouldnt rely on those 50 cent car fuel filters. Use a proper sized diesel filter and replace them them as often as necessary.
You can buy aftermarket filters, they can be equal to OEM and cheaper.

You might need to use one of those anti rust treatments that seal coat the inside of the tank, but wait until you see how the tank clean goes.

I'm using diesel filters too. The inline filter is just so I can see what's going on.

I bought 3 aftermarket filters that I'll be cycling through, plus an OEM one I'll use after I clean the tank.

@roscoFJ73 I like your approach

Ok, good. Im sure you will sort it out. Take a pic of the gunk when it comes out. You might want to inspect the fuel pick up in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom