Fuel filter change fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I need to disengage my fuel pump and turn the engine on temporarily to depressurize the fuel lines before changing the fuel filter? Or can I just swap out the filter real quick and deal with a bit of gas leak for a min. Does the efi fuse control the fuel pump? Please help I couldn't find a clear consensus. And no special tools required correct?

Proper procedure is to have the motor running while you force the fuel pump to stop - by pulling a fuse or relay. This will bleed all pressure off. In practice you can just crack the bolts loose (with the truck off of course) and very little fuel will leak out. Just use common sense (no flame or spark, have rags ready, etc.)

No special tools - just wrenches.

All I've done is crack the gas cap. Very little fuel leaks in my experience. Maybe soak the mount bolts with PB Blaster depending on their condition.

couple more questions guys. Is there a way to date the current fuel filter? I see what looks like a date, it say 1- 89 I'm assuming that's January of 89..? If that's the case then holy s*** it needs to be changed. Question number two my rig has horrible power going up inclines, like reduced to 40 mph on long incline stretches it's getting no gas I guess, I've read replacing fuel filter will restore some lost power. Any guys notice a big difference?

Question number two my rig has horrible power going up inclines, like reduced to 40 mph on long incline stretches it's getting no gas I guess, I've read replacing fuel filter will restore some lost power. Any guys notice a big difference?

it's a stock 62 series, be happy and enjoy the scenery.

I'm wondering how your able to do 40mph

If that filter is indeed that old it could without a doubt be starving the motor of fuel at full power. Cheap and easy to replace. Start with that and go from there. Could be lots of stuff dirty injectors, fuel pressure regulator, things plugged up from EGR, etc. Best to get a manual and go through it methodically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom