Fuel filter bolt missing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Back at again, this time trying to baseline my fuel filter on my '94 FZJ80.

So, I went to replace my fuel filter with a new one and noticed it was not bolted in. It is basically just hanging there with the lines.. I guess the PO just gave up when trying to reinstall it.

Do you guys happen to have the part number and/or size of bolt? I think it will be much easier to get off of the lines bolted in.

Also, for de-pressurization purposes, should I just remove the gas cap. Or, are there more steps I should do to prevent spillage.

I left a bolt out on purpose! It was a PITA.

^ slot the bracket on the filter (at least one side) and the 2 bolts are easy to deal with NEXT time...

cheers,
george.

Running on little sleep, my mind went right to a banjo bolt :eek::eek::eek:

Then mount bolts dawned on me when slotting filter ears came up.

^ slot the bracket on the filter (at least one side) and the 2 bolts are easy to deal with NEXT time...

cheers,
george.

fuel%20filter%2080%20series_zpsxzcergz2.png

FF%20slot3_zpsnlfxpzef.jpg

Removing the gas cap should be enough to depressurize. I put a rag under the banjo bolt and let it soak up what leaks out for a while before climbing under for the full removal. Removing the banjo bolts will be harder to do without the filter mounted so be careful not to bend the lines.

PS: Wear safety glasses.

Thanks for the tip Zack. I will definitely do that. The FSM says to remove the rear seats to disconnect the fuel pump, but that seems like too much effort to save a little bit of gas.

I tried to take it off by wrenching the other side at the same time and no luck. I think I am going to visit my local dealer and see if he has a couple bolts to put in prior to removing the banjo. Otherwise, I am sure advanced auto has something I can use.

Your local hardware store should have a bolt that works if thats closer/easier than the dealer. If anything just put in one of the bolts (the side thats not slotted in the post above) and that'll be enough.

If i recall correctly a quick snap on the wrench will be more successful in loosening than applying a slow hard torque. I sprayed mine with PB blaster, not sure if it helped or not.

Cool man, I should be able to get around to it tonight.

Thanks for the pointers!

I can remember if it was an m8x1.25x 15 or an m6x1.0x15 but it's somewhere around that

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

The old filter (which was basically hanging on just the banjo lines) and fuel lines were bent pretty badly from the PO. Glad I got around to fixing this!

It turned out the M8x1.25 20mm flanged bolts work perfectly. I slotted the screw holes, and installed the new one no problem.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

The old filter (which was basically hanging on just the banjo lines) and fuel lines were bent pretty badly from the PO. Glad I got around to fixing this!

It turned out the M8x1.25 20mm flanged bolts work perfectly. I slotted the screw holes, and installed the new one no problem.

Good Job!

They could have put the fuel filter in a more serviceable location, but at least we don't have to change them often.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the old Toyotas were built with kids. That was a tight squeeze -- but not as bad as the PHH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom