Fuel Filler Neck Rust Treatment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishNinJay

SILVER Star
Threads
Just removed the fuel filler neck from my aux tank. It has some rust patches, nothing deep or serious. I think it might be the source of rust particles in my aluminum fuel tank.

If I can remove the rust with wire brush or sanding, is there a safe treatment for the metal to prevent the rust? Some kind of epoxy primer or rust-bullet that is impervious to gasoline and safe to use here?

Thanks!!
-Jay

I have to deal with that someday as part of restoring my 40, was thinking about sending it with all of my other parts to have it zinc cad plated, saw someone's else's on this forum and it looked nice.

That's a good idea! I wonder where I could have this done? And, would it be worth it to have just this one piece zinc cad plated? Hmm.. thanks for the tip.

I researched for EVER fuel safe paints.......I vote to cad plate it......much safer and once you do it...it's done

I researched for EVER fuel safe paints.......I vote to cad plate it......much safer and once you do it...it's done

Thx.. seems like it will be pricey to CAD plate it. It needs to be blasted & prepped first I suppose?

I looked, and there are millions of different filler necks, none look like this one. I wonder if it was a custom fab'd item? Considering cheaping out and using a "fuel-resistant" engine paint I have for the outside, and just leaving the inside bare. I can always peek down the neck with a flashlight, and it's easy enough to remove and if the rust comes back.

Now, I'm watching YouTube, teaching myself how to tap threads in this aluminum fuel tank!

I'll post a pic of my filler neck later tonight.

Thanks guys..
-J

Cad plating is Pricy because of the environment issues, Yellow Zinc is cheep last time I paid $20 to have the filler neck done. 125 small pieces $35, whole Radiator shroud $35.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom