Fuel economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow LC Drivers,
I purchased a 2020 LC Heritage edition 2 years ago. Love the LC save one feature - M1 Abrams tank fuel “economy.” Does anyone know of any mods that can be done that actually work, e.g. cold air intakes, Performance chips, etc.?? My 2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray with 465 and 470 ft-lbs could muster 28 mpg while cruising on the highway!! ( vette can shift to 4 cylinders when in highway mode). Appreciate any good ideas. Thanks. JD

Is the vette 3 to 4 tons? Aero of a stacked brick? Running 80 lbs a corner of wheel/tire?
Probably have to remediate these issues first before looking to compare fuel consumption.
Some report marginally better mpg on high test gas.

Fellow LC Drivers,
I purchased a 2020 LC Heritage edition 2 years ago. Love the LC save one feature - M1 Abrams tank fuel “economy.” Does anyone know of any mods that can be done that actually work, e.g. cold air intakes, Performance chips, etc.?? My 2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray with 465 and 470 ft-lbs could muster 28 mpg while cruising on the highway!! ( vette can shift to 4 cylinders when in highway mode). Appreciate any good ideas. Thanks. JD

Bone stock, or extremely minor mods like wheel, sliders, drawers.
19.5-20 on flat, windless highway in that form…even loaded with internal gear and large people.

Worst killers of MPG on these things are external appendages that disrupt what littleair flow it has.

Tornado Gas Saver.​

Fellow LC Drivers,
Park it and don't drive it. Land Cruisers like a lot of gas. Be happy that you live in a state with some of the lowest gas prices.

Sorry OP, no mods (at least none that I'm aware of) that one can do to improve the 200s mpg. I tried as much as I can in the past, and nothing I did amounted to any significant mpg savings.

Thes 200s are pigs on gas, the price we pay to have a comfy offroading capable and reliable all season truck.

You bought a 6000 lbs truck with some of the worst mpg in the USA and we are concerned about gas prices? Don’t compare the most over built suv on the planet to a corvette. Very different animals. No way to save any appreciable money in gas other than keep it stock and have a light foot

There's no easy mods per say that will give better economy otherwise the factory would have done it.

That said, there are some things that can make a difference. Whether you have the patience is another question.

Hypermiling driving strategies don't just apply to efficient cars. Actually can make a larger monetary difference with gas hogs like our beloved pig.

Common strategies
  1. Increase tire pressure by as much as you're willing comfort wise
  2. Drive smoothly, anticipate, and minimize brake use
  3. Keep to posted or lower speeds
  4. Minimize weight carried, and accessories that effect the aero of the car
  5. Use the air conditioner sparingly
  6. Avoid idling

My wife is a typical driver (as opposed to me that drives aggressively) and when she drives my LX, it easily gains 2+ MPG. A substantial 13%. I play the opposite game and like to make my wife's running EV score as low as possible.

There's no easy mods per say that will give better economy otherwise the factory would have done it.

That said, there are some things that can make a difference. Whether you have the patience is another question.

Hypermiling driving strategies don't just apply to efficient cars. Actually can make a larger monetary difference with gas hogs like our beloved pig.

Common strategies
  1. Increase tire pressure by as much as you're willing comfort wise
  2. Drive smoothly, anticipate, and minimize brake use
  3. Keep to posted or lower speeds
  4. Minimize weight carried, and accessories that effect the aero of the car
  5. Use the air conditioner sparingly
  6. Avoid idling

My wife is a typical driver (as opposed to me that drives aggressively) and when she drives my LX, it easily gains 2+ MPG. A substantial 13%. I play the opposite game and like to make my wife's running EV score as low as possible.
Thanks, TeCKis300.

So far, your's are the best overall tried and true strategies.

Update on my end...

1. Tornado Saver - SCAM. Doesn't work. See news story proved when tested. Also, as an engineer, there is already a sufficient 'mixing vortex' coming through the stock intake. 50 bucks wasted with cheap aluminum 'implant.'
2. Cold Air Induction - no go. I just opened the hood. 2020 LC already has one (not ram air oriented from grill, rather from wheel well, but still "cold."). Cold air induction works best when both straight line, cold ram air gets pushed into the intake (I'm a mech and aero eng.).
3. Taking off fancy factory-installed Yakima rack is an airbrake. Will be removing until doing true off-roading. When off, saves 2 - 3 mpg... really...driving conservatively.
4. Testing it now. Looks a bit promising... Lucas Oil Fuel treatment both lubricates cylinders better and also keeps injectors clean. So far, has worked better than higher, spendy octane fuel.

As I live within a stone's throw from Toyota NA HQ in Plano, Texas, I will keep you posted if I'm successful getting Toyota engineers' attention on an ECU mod that will allow "multi-displacement" capability that Chevy's have had for years, e.g. ECU shifts from 8 to 4 cylinders on highway under low loads. No engine mods necessarily needed if ECU can be programmed appropriately. Yes, pipedream, but will try to give it a go.

P.S. Apparently, any of the "wonder performance chips" are scams or just don't work.

As I live within a stone's throw from Toyota NA HQ in Plano, Texas, I will keep you posted if I'm successful getting Toyota engineers' attention on an ECU mod that will allow "multi-displacement" capability that Chevy's have had for years, e.g. ECU shifts from 8 to 4 cylinders on highway under low loads. No engine mods necessarily needed if ECU can be programmed appropriately. Yes, pipedream, but will try to give it a go.

P.S. Apparently, any of the "wonder performance chips" are scams or just don't work.
Do you work for Toyota? Are you Warren Buffet? You plan to just walk up to the HQ and ask those engineers to do you a small favor? Decades of tuners have tried to tune our engine for supercharger compatibility with minimal success…and zero help from Toyota. And you want to do what?!

You think that those local engineers will reprogram your Japanese built ECU to work like a Chevy when no other Toyota that I know does that?

Pipedream? I want to drink what you’re drinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom