Fuel economy really that bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
'76 40 4spd
Ok, so I knew it was going to be bad, but I filled my tank with aproximately 50L (13Gal?) I get under 300Km (~190Mi) That says I am getting about 14mpg - that seems decent by what I have heard here. but kinda horrible compared to what I was really expecting. Stock 2F I assume I have 4.11's I do ~50 -55Mph average. Tires are slightly oversize.

How much difference would fresh plugs cap & rotor make and what other tune up items can I easily do to squeeze another bit out of it!! (other than mexican overdrive, drive something else - siphon gas from neighbours etc....)

You *MIGHT* gain 1 or 2 MPG....but I doubt it...seriously

If I were you I would try a tune up, but I would not have any high expectations.

If you want good mileage, purchase a Jetta TDI.....or a beater Honda civic.

:beer:

Yep, that bad, though i have not experienced this first hand. But all articals I have read and others I have talked to, it seems to be the brutal reality - but like others have said all throughout these posts, is you don't buy a cruiser for fuel economy...Drive a honda.
anyway, we'll all be suffering with you - but I can't wait to suffer - I'm going to love driving my cruiser, damn the costs!

I can't wait for oil to get over 90.00us a barrel.

:rolleyes:

dude, i got a 2f the a RV cam, 35's and 3.73s(4.88 are on the way) i get like 7 MPG.

MrMoMo said:
What other things can I easily do to squeeze another bit out of it!! (other than mexican overdrive, drive something else - siphon gas from neighbours etc....)

Cruisers have the aerodynamics of a brick, so 14 MPG isn't bad.

Out on the highway, you can slip stream tractor trailor rigs. This will give you a 10-20% increase. The trick is you have to get close. You will know you are in the slip stream when the air noise drops off and you have to let up on the gas pedal to maintain speed. Of course, there is some risk to this and you have to pay attention. :D

Pin_Head said:
Cruisers have the aerodynamics of a brick, so 14 MPG isn't bad.

Out on the highway, you can slip stream tractor trailor rigs. This will give you a 10-20% increase. The trick is you have to get close. You will know you are in the slip stream when the air noise drops off and you have to let up on the gas pedal to maintain speed. Of course, there is some risk to this and you have to pay attention. :D

Yep, you have to pay CLOSE attention. Also, doing that tends to piss off the truck drivers. They know you're there but can't see you and it worries them. So they'll get on their CB's and pretty soon other trucks will be surrounding you. They'll force you to follow the first truck to a stop by not giving you an out. Then you'll need to explain yourself.

- 200,000 miles in a '61 VW Westphalia camper sometimes getting 40 mpg. :) Those were the days.

FJ40onNOS said:
dude, i got a 2f the a RV cam, 35's and 3.73s(4.88 are on the way) i get like 7 MPG.
:eek: Either that's the worst-tuned FJ40 on the planet or, more likely, your right foot is heavier than Tony Stewart's.:D

By the way, these fuel efficiency threads crack me up. EVERYONE KNOWS that Cruisers suck gas like toofless 'hos

honk said:
- 200,000 miles in a '61 VW Westphalia camper sometimes getting 40 mpg. :) Those were the days.

It figures that all VW bus owners would know this trick. I had a '64 Westphalia for 15 years. I never had any significant trouble with truckers. A few would try to pull away and a couple jammed on the brakes, but most didn't care. You see trucks doing it too.

I never got better than 22 MPG in my camper.

I also own a 1993 FJ80, FZE motor fuel injected, completely stock, 12/16 mpg. Landcruisers are definitely low on the "fuel economy" list and painful to fill up at the pumps.

Poser - had a 2001 Jetta TDI - those were the days. Drove from Ontario, out to BC and back on $300 Diesel! Also have a '90 Honda CRX - I get over 500Km on $30 gas. Our Subaru Impreza can get about 600hwy km for about $40. This is why it's such a shocker for me in the Cruiser. I know I am not going to get 30MPG, but I would like to do every trick to get every MPG out of 'er!!

I figure my fuel costs went up by about $400/yr when I started driving the cruiser, but my insurance dropped by about the same amount from my tacoma!

Oh, someday I'll have a BJ40!

Pin_Head - uh, yeah, but I'd have to shoot myself for that. I spent some time as a Driving instructor with Young Drivers of Canada- you wouldn't catch me doing anything like that.....

Anyone ever transplanted a TDI engine into a cruiser?

MrMoMo-Get used to it. There isn't a "trick" you've missed. These are heavy trucks, with 1930's technology. They suck fuel. On the road, going to a trail, I get maybe 12. Off road, I've gotten 1-2 mpg, no joking.

Some sort of a diesel swap would be cool, but the economics of that would never work. I just rationalize that these are hobby vehicles, and the fuel use is not important.

i have consitantly had 16-17 mpg on my 2F. but, i hopped up the compression so i only run premium, and i have a 5 speed, and i ride on 31s. a valve adjust, or a head job if it has been a while, will help get that mileage up a little bit. but all in all, 14 mpg is better than most! i find that running premium gas, if your compression is higher, makes the extra 10% fuel cost worth it.

I get about 25 mpg highway. Work is about 10 mi. each way. I literally cannot remember the last time I filled up, but it was well before Xmas.

There's got to be a damn Canuck BJ42 around somewhere near you....

And then when the end comes you can pour veggie oil in her and putt around while everybody else kills each other for gasoline.

B

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom