fuel door (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall. I have a 1993 landcruiser hdj81. The fuel door won't open. I can't press on it or force it open either. I keep pulling the latch to top up on diesel, but have to pull on it about 10 times. Anybody know how to fix this?

Reach up inside and pull the cable than with your other hand pull the door open. The spring is what pops it out and the cable needs to be pulled to release the pin. Your spring is probable gone or doesn’t have enough tension. It’s a flat piece of steel.

I've pushed the ignition key in-between the closed fuel door and the body panel under a bit of tension, then pull the release handle; that often will be enough to pop the door open (as the key falls on the ground). Or as mentioned above with the hatch open have one hand pulling on the release lever that the end of the cable is attached to while pulling open the fuel door with the other hand.

For a quick fix you can use a zip tie in the location where the spring normally goes, make a small loop around the small bar of the hinge. Then when you close the door that loop will be compressed somewhat, so when you pull on the handle next time the door should pop open

It isn't a complex mechanism, I wonder if bike shop (bulk) shifter cable materials could be modified to do the job.

I have my interior out, that cable is run along the driver sill (at least on my US delivered LHD 80) and under the carpet, behind the cargo area trim panel.

Why not just buy a new cable, if yours needs to be replaced?
1684265257056.png

1684265303297.png

1684265342529.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom