Fuel delivery advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeking the wisdom of the FJ40 crowd:

I've been reading a lot about fuel delivery problems since my '68 started bucking and bogging down a few days ago. While I was awaiting a tow truck on the side of the road, thought I'd try to self-fix so I consulted the IH8MUD oracle and focused on the fuel filter. Long story short, I yanked out the fuel filter element and it started right up and got me home.

fast forward to today, felt like the same problem with fuel starvation. would run if I put fuel directly into the carb, but die quickly thereafter. Read the forums again and decided to test fuel delivery to the carb by removing hard line, and low and behold it started right up and idled while fuel was pumping into a water bottle. reattached fuel line and it seems to run fine.

Any advice as to what's going on? some sort of vacuum issue?

thanks in advance for any guidance.

My guess is rust, dirt, debris in your fuel system. Start at the tank and work forwards, either new parts or really clean parts.

Sounds like debris in the fuel system needs to be dealt with. You removed the filter which allowed fuel to flow. Problem is it simply plugged up the small passages further down the line. Now it is time to clean everything from the tank to rebuilding the carb to remove debris that is causing your issues.

My guess is rust, dirt, debris in your fuel system. Start at the tank and work forwards, either new parts or really clean parts.
ok thank you. It's a brand new tank and rebuilt fuel pump, but old soft and hard lines so I'll focus on those.

Sounds like debris in the fuel system needs to be dealt with. You removed the filter which allowed fuel to flow. Problem is it simply plugged up the small passages further down the line. Now it is time to clean everything from the tank to rebuilding the carb to remove debris that is causing your issues.
ok thank you. carb and fuel pump were totally rebuilt and it's a new tank, so that leaves the soft/hard fuel lines. hopefully crud hasn't already ruined the new carburetor rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom