Fual guage is now INOP after removing wires from sender.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What does this do??

I hold a test light to it and the light will pulse with the key on the ON possition,???

mooker82 said:
Not sure if theres one on a cruiser but on my early bronco i had the same problem There is a small voltage resistor that cuts the current from 12 volts to 6 or something that is located on the back of the gauge panel.

Thats the way my test light acted too. From my understanding the part just cuts the voltage down for your gauges. I have no idea though if this is true for FJ40's.

The part was called an instrument cluster voltage regulator IIRC

If reading empty you can short the connections at the sending unit to make it read full. Will it do that? Also make sure you have solid connections at both ends. If I suspect a bad connection at cluster. This has happened to me several times and everytime it was a bad connection.:)

At the sending unit, you can remove it and ohm it out to make sure it's not the send unit. Full indicates almost no resistence. I'm not sure what the ohms is when it's full....but the meter should move up in ohms in a linear fashion as you simulate it being full/empty Good Luck

Ok, Listed to this bull s***!

I bought another 78 FJ40 and drove it 400 miles home today, stopped at the car wash to get the thousands of bugs off that gave thier lives along the way and decided to dust off the engine. It has 58k and never seen rain, the decals are 99% mint and the thing looks new! So I only rinsed this thing off......Got back in and now my OIL PRESSURE, TEMPATURE and FUEL are NOW INOP in this new one.................WTF??

Two land cruisers in 30 days, same issues.......................Whats the ghost?

AATLAS1X said:
Ok, Listen to this bull s***!

Two land cruisers in 30 days, same issues.......................Whats the ghost?

For gods sake- don't drive another Cruiser. The common denominator is you!

j/k I'm being a smartass.

LukeZero said:
For gods sake- don't drive another Cruiser. The common denominator is you!

j/k I'm being a smartass.

I dont get it?? Most I get the amp meter is inop, but never this..............FAWK!

orig.jpg

See, working....That was then......Washed, now only the amp works......

HELP

Last edited:
My blue ones all worked fine the next day??:confused:

Back to my first issue.

1. fuel guage is inop

2. oil pressure guage is inop

I dare you!

Fuel gauge was a stupid oversight on my side,.

Thanks for the help on the oil pressure, as is was the sending unit.

My blue ones all worked fine the next day??:confused:

Back to my first issue.

1. fuel guage is inop

2. oil pressure guage is inop

I dare you!

You soaked it. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom