FST Reproduction Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys,

I have started looking into FJ40 Parts that are hard to come by.

Two components are currently the factor soft top safety strap bolts and Vadar light cover.

I have 3D scanned the Vadar light and produced the following 3D metal printed vadar light. I was wondering what you guys thought and if you would be interested in a production run.
upload_2018-6-4_10-17-44.png

Here is the safety Strap bolt. I am looking at a production run of these as well... Thoughts?
upload_2018-6-4_10-18-4.png

upload_2018-6-4_10-18-16.png

Also if you can think of any other rare parts that are impossible to purchase but are needed in the FJ40 community, please let me know. I am working on the SD-40 Carb Glass window currently. That should be another few months in the making.

Thanks,

Krondor.

Reactions: SMG
Yes if the production is close to OEM in appearance and is functional, I would definitely be interested.

Definitely interested in the light hood. Are you also planning on production the mount that it "clips" to?

Would find out how many have the light minus the hood on the Vader light. Didn't realize you could 3D print metal. Are the safety strap bolts printed or machined?

Not how many need it but if you can reproduce the large site glass for the one barrel carburetor might tackle the 73 reverse light lens. I know I could use one and seen a thread were other were trying to figure something out. On the FJ25 the rear license plate lens is also a piece some need. I know I could use at least one and do have a good lens to copy. Not sure I've another one. Funny my one with a bent base has a good lens and two with everything intact have broken and missing lens.

You can 3D print metal using a method called direct laser sintering. Its a fairly inexpensive method that is 99.6% as strong as billet material. You can print anything from carbon steel, titanium, inconel, to brass, aluminum, etc..

I am working on the large sight glass now. A prototype should be in process in a couple weeks. The reverse two lens' are good ones. They are glass correct?

Thanks.

My cruiser didnt originally come with a vader light but I would want one just so I could say "Yeah, that there is one of them fancy vader lights you hear about but never actually see in the wild."

Yeah, that there is one of them fancy vader lights you hear about but never actually see in the wild."

Kind of like the Dodo bird. Seem them and remember them well. That must make me a dinosaur.

FYI the Darth Vader hood has a smooth finish not textured. I see the base being the issue. Those are spring steel clips. Also has a inner spring steel ring helping put pressure on the clips.

9916ED39-A623-45F5-8780-C3EA0319F18D.jpeg
What about plastic tee handles for the early seats?

How about the plastic handle that covers the amby door inside latch lever? Those things always break.

View attachment 1716100 What about plastic tee handles for the early seats?
If it were me, I’d want a metal reproduction of that. Aluminum could be cast into that shape easily and it would never break again. A splash of paint/powder and no one would be any the wiser... and no one would ever complain that it wasn’t made of plastic. Same goes for the door handles for the rear door (& pre 75 front doors).

I’ve not got a FST... but I would like aluminum covers for my ‘74 door handles... plastic will just break again.

Agreed about metal vs plastic parts. One of the reasons the early Land Cruisers are fixed-up and kept in use is their toughness and general lack of plastic parts so prevalent on modern vehicles. Plastics don't age well and their universal use today creates a sense of cheapness to some of us. Sometimes recreating in metal certain parts that were originally plastic, seems like a worthwhile upgrade. My vote anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom