FSM leading arm torq procedure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why do they want the front end jacked to torque the body side of the leading arm and why do they want the weight on the front end to torque the axle side of leading arm??šŸ¤”

image.jpg

Probably to get to the correct torque value. I'm guessing but all that weight on the bolt may somehow effect the torque value.

Probably to get to the correct torque value. I'm guessing but all that weight on the bolt may somehow effect the torque value.
I could see it if they wanted it weight on wheels for all torquing but weight for one and none for the others makes no sense.

BUT, they may be compensating for full droop body side and weight on for the axle side as upward movement is less than down?? Thatā€™s all I can surmise

Bounce the suspension with the vehicle on the ground to get everything settled. Than tighten everything up while it is still on the ground.

Than when you are ready to proceed to the final torque put the frame on jack stands and tighten the frame side with the axle fully flexed.

The reason as I understand it is to prevent tearing your bushings when your at full flex

Bounce the suspension with the vehicle on the ground to get everything settled. Than tighten everything up while it is still on the ground.

Than when you are ready to proceed to the final torque put the frame on jack stands and tighten the frame side with the axle fully flexed.

The reason as I understand it is to prevent tearing your bushings when your at full flex
Thats the reasoning I came up with.

I read it to say torque all nuts with weight on the suspension. It gets confusing when they say to jack the axle and give the ā€œsafetyā€ hint to put jack stands under the frame. The picture shows tires removed but I donā€™t read where it directs us to remove the tires nor do I read where it directs us to drop the axle out once the safety stands are in place. It says ā€œjack up the axleā€ and shows the jack elevating the front axle housing.

Torquing body end and axle end is done under one step and the ā€œhintā€ to torque with full vehicle weight on axle housing is the last instruction under step b. which applies to all nuts.

The bushing needs to be neutral at static ride height so it reacts equally as the arm travels up and down through its range of motion. Imagine the stress on the frame end bushing when the arm travels full up if you have already preloaded the rubber bushing at static ride height by torquing the bolt with axle housing fully drooped.

I read it to say torque all nuts with weight on the suspension. It gets confusing when they say to jack the axle and give the ā€œsafetyā€ hint to put jack stands under the frame. The picture shows tires removed but I donā€™t read where it directs us to remove the tires nor do I read where it directs us to drop the axle out once the safety stands are in place. It says ā€œjack up the axleā€ and shows the jack elevating the front axle housing.

Torquing body end and axle end is done under one step and the ā€œhintā€ to torque with full vehicle weight on axle housing is the last instruction under step b. which applies to all nuts.

The bushing needs to be neutral at static ride height so it reacts equally as the arm travels up and down through its range of motion. Imagine the stress on the frame end bushing when the arm travels full up if you have already preloaded the rubber bushing at static ride height by torquing the bolt with axle housing fully drooped.
I agree, all my experience with control arms and bushings in other vehicles is finger tight, place vehicle on ground, bounce and torque.

I interpret the instructions to say torque body side drooped, torque axle side weight on. But why do they say to install bolts loosely, lower vehicle bounce to stabilize then Jack front and torque body side? lower vehicle then torque axle side? Seems like something is out of order/ poorly described FFSšŸ˜”

Iā€™m going to drop truck and torque all.

Reading it again, they are saying to ā€œJack the axle housing, torque body side then torque axle sideā€. Basically Jack the front axle till tires are off ground then torque everything.

RTFI FFS Iā€™m being stupidšŸ˜³

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom