FSM: how do you find info in there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
curious about something: trying to figure out the difference in usability between a hardcopy and a CD FSM. Seems like the CD version does not have a Table of Contents or an index, amazingly enough, which seems like an amazing oversight to me. It does have the advantage instead, of course, that you can do a search and find keywords anywhere.
I never saw a hardcopy of the OEM FSM, but I do remember some earlier posts where folks were asking for page numbers and saying that they could not find the info. So, how does one find the info in the hardcopy version? Is there a detailed index? Or a big Table of Contents? Something else? Is it easily usable or a nightmare?
thx
E

Where did you get the CD version, I'm trying to decide between the hardcopy and the CD for a UZJ100, with ease of use and cost as considerations.

the hardcopy is broken up into sections, i.e. engine, electrical, cooling, etc. Index on first few pages.

Pretty simple, but it can take a little time to find exactly what you are looking for if you're not used to this type of breakdown.

Over the years I've worked with Microfiche, hard copy and cd manuals. By far my preference is the hard copy. You can read it before hand, mark it up with any additional comments and even copy the pages for shop use while keeping the original clean. The layout does take some getting used to. It does seem to jumop around in the troubleshooting areas. You might be troubleshooting a CE code and as it walks you through the process it will reference individual test proceedures from other areas of the manual. This is where the copying comes in, you can reduce all that page flipping to a nice set of pages of just what you need.

C-dan had told be a few months ago that Toyota does not produce the FSM on a CD, so that version may not be the real thing. If there is one now, where did you locate it?

I would think searching on the CD may be quicker than hard copy, but I suppose that depends the the software the content is in.

FWIW, I have used several CD-ROM manuals over the last several years and I find them to be a major PITA!!! For one, the search feature is sometimes missing and at most, not user friendly. For another, you either have to repeatedly refer back to the computer or print out all the pages you would refer to for the repair. Unless you have a hefty laser printer, printing them out is expensive and takes time. Lastly, unless the manufacturer makes the actual disk, most of them are pirate versions and the quality terrible as a result. Personally, I would much rather have the hardcopy in all cases. HTH. :beer: For All!

E,

In regards to the hardcopy, there's an index in the front of the manual that's breaks it into 16 sections; Introduction, Maintenance, Engine, Ignition, Starter etc.. At the front of each section is an index that breaks it down into the specifics covered. It's pretty well broken down, and although I've only had mine a couple of weeks, seems pretty easy to find what you're looking for.

And on cold rainy days like today, you can cuddle up to the fire with a warm cup of joe and a blanky and read anything from checking tire pressure to repacking Birfs,... it's wonderful, :D.

Rookie2

At work I have acess to all toyota/lexus fsm/ewds Bolth on cd and hardcopy.for ease of use daily i use the hard copy !! the factory cd copy is unfreindly to use during diagnostic work Even though it is hyperlinked through the index so you just have to type the word/page# and boom your there
Bear in mind that all toyota publications are written by a teem of individuals whoom have never seen a car/truck and are just using info given to them by the format set in last years fsm, and new system info is copied from reports of the original designers specs, and stremlined as time goes on
The current battle is that toyota has wanted to stop all hardcopy print and just go to cd as it is cheeper and easier to update ,I have been privilidged to be part of the group that is fighting this, and for now we have held them back a few years, end rant
Nothing beats the fsm in your HAND for repairs,,,,and i treasure all my hardcopies as gold

well, I'm looking at a CD version of the FSM. That thing is humongous, well over 2,500 pages just for the repair manual, and then the EWD on top of that.
Unfortunately, it does not have a real index. Too bad. One can do a search through all the pdf files but it doesn't find everything. Not sure why. You also can't find a specific page easily. There are a multitude of files but they are given arcane code names. So basically, it's very convenient as far as avoiding huge reams of paper and sure beats $300 for the hardcopies, but leaves something to be desired. May just have to print the whole section relevant to the task at hand, probably easier than trying to find the specific stuff with a search, and you'll end up with the hardcopy anyway. Sure nice to print the few pages needed and take them under the truck without worrying about oil etc, though.
E.

>> Sure nice to print the few pages needed ...<<

I use an old fashioned copier to reproduce the needed pages from the FSM.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom