FSM EM: compression and valve shimming? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to teach myself a couple things here.

1. on compression testing: i pull all the spark plugs? what is the “distributor connector” exactly? do they want me to disconnect each spark plug lead so there is no spark? or something else? then i screw in the compression gauge into one cylinder? what do they mean by “fully open the throttle”? just hold the throttle cable open manually or put the pedal to the floor with a CMU block or what? then have someone crank the engine by turning the key?

2. on valve clearance: drain coolant for some reason? pull spark plug leads so no one can accidentally start the engine? what was the “cowl panel” please? timing set to 0 advance? crankshafts set to TDC by aligning marks outward and horizontal? what do they mean by “turn the crankshaft pulley 1 revolution (360d) and align the its groove with timing mark “0” of the timing chain cover”? i’m not following that. also, what is TDC on this engine? is it when all pistons are at the highest position? when one cylinder is at TDC? or what exactly?

3. valve shimming: what do i call tools “SST A” ans “SST B” if i have to pick them up at my local oriellys? also, “turn the crankshaft to position the cam lobe of the camshaft on the shushing valve upward”. is this taking me off TDC? the shims have a notch of some kind to allow you to register them with respect to the valve lifters? to slide them out with the tool? both?

THANKS for any help

5695803E-AB28-49D5-BEAC-804277A5804B.jpeg

D1EE88B4-96FE-43F5-8B6D-4A3BEF13411E.jpeg

666FBA63-91BD-46A3-A6E5-957277796ED2.jpeg

16E8CDF4-561B-4F88-85E6-D7A7113B1185.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom