FS: Restored Early FJ40 Hard top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swilson

lurker
Threads
Website
www.pirate4x4.com
i-GpWsvRX-M.jpg

This top was original to the 1966 FJ40 I restored. Fits 1963-August 1976. Initially I used an OEM canvas top when I finished the project, but this winter completed the hard top restoration. I used the hard top about 3 months (always garaged) & then pulled it off for spring/summer. I've decided I really prefer the soft top so rather than letting the hard top waste away in my car port, it's for sale.

Steel panels
  • Steel panels were sandblasted & powder primed
  • Paint is a single stage non-oem color, prepped & painted by a pro, not me
  • The paint job is great and ready for you to scuff & paint to match your cruiser
  • The powder primer base will insure it stays rust free for a really long time
  • Only thing I overlooked was 4 small holes on the interior of the B-pillars where a fire extinguisher had been mounted... easy to correct when you do your color change
Fiberglass roof
  • Professionally restored & painted in January
  • Steel gutters were separated from fiberglass
  • Rust on gutters was chemically treated before primer/paint
  • Gutters were sealed with body sealer after being re-installed on the fiberglass
  • New Specter headliner
Glass/gaskets
  • All original glass except the RR 1/4 glass which is New Old Stock OEM
  • All new OEM window gaskets... unavailable now. I bought them years ago and shelved them
  • All new OEM window gasket keys too
Rubber/weather stripping
  • I had accidentally ordered both a Spector off road and a Cool Cruiser of Texas hard top weather strip kit. (my restoration took 10 years and I had lost track of which weather stripping I already had on the shelf) Since I had them both on hand I chose the best-made pieces out of each kit
  • Over the front doors I retained the original 1966 rubber because my pieces were in good shape and were much nicer than what the aftermarket kits offered
  • In the upper corners of the rear hatch I also retained the original rubber, because neither aftermarket kit included those pieces
Rear hatch
  • I modified a set of strut mounts to accept a ball-stud and used gas-struts to hold up the rear hatch. They work FANTASTIC.
  • If you're doing an absolute original restoration, a pair of stock struts will still bolt right in since I did not modify the top at all
  • The interior/exterior handles are powder coated black. Easy enough to have them chromed if you are going for that original look
  • New OEM lock/key
Miscellaneous
  • Only pieces not included that you will need a pair of "Front Corner Brackets". Mine are painted to match and are staying because they are needed for my OEM soft top. New replacements available from Spector for $35/pair. http://www.sor.com/cat108.sor
  • Not photographed, but included, are the two tub-to-side panel weather strippings & the windshield top weather stripping
  • Nearly all hardware was replaced with stainless steel. All hardware is new.
Photo gallery here

Asking $2,500. Located in Morgan Hill, CA.

Send me an email or PM if you're interested.
Scott

If you saw the rest of the truck, you'd have some idea how much time and money was invested in this top. It's just as clean as it sounds. The rest of the truck was just featured in the Toyota owners magazine.:cool:

Bump for a great Cruiserhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom