FS: 71 FJ40 North FL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD New owner in Florida FS: 71 FJ40 North FL

Excuse the Write up, it's for the Flea-bay add, if I don't get any intrest here ! But gives full detail:

1971 TOYOTA FJ 40 LANDCRUISER:

Here’s a chance to own a really nice FJ40. This LC runs & drives great. It has been in the process of Restoration, most of the hard part is done now. The parts alone are close to what I want to sell the LC for. As always I will try my best to describe this vehicle at length. I will give you the goods & bads; I encourage you, if serious to come look & drive it, or have it inspected. Yes its tagged & registered, and has a Florida title. This LC was originally purchased here in Jacksonville, Fl. It was secured from the original owner whom had parked it for some 10-12 years or more (inside a barn). I know the individual that purchased it & worked for about a year to bring it back to life. He decided to move on to another project, so I purchased to use as a Hunting vehicle. After owning & driving for a while (not to mention the work I have done to it, & the condition of it, I just can’t bring myself to use this FJ for that purpose. While no better off-road vehicle, this classic deserves better! These are well built, actually over built vehicles. Compared to the competition in its day, no Jeep, Bronco etc, compared to this. It ‘s the true version of Toyota quality, & build

When my friend secured it, he told me he, took all hoses, belts, fluids, were drained. Cylinders lubricated, with a rebuilt Carb, all new lines, tank cleaned & treated, new ignition parts-plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, new starter, alternator, filters, it fired right up. The clutch, pressure plate, booster, reservoir, all Brake hard lines, & soft lines were replaced. The brakes have been gone through & replaced (this has the 2 Wheels cylinders per wheel), drums, pads, wheel cylinders, etc. Might need to check timing & have valves adjusted even though it runs great, I haven’t checked the timing or valve lash, but there is no run on, or valve chatter, starts good, no smoke.

The SOR 4” suspension lift kit was installed, HD shackles, springs, shocks, u-bolts, etc. The 5 original rims powdercoated & new BFG 33x10.5x15” tires installed. Also the auto hubs have been replaced with Locking-hubs. And yes the 4 wheels drive works!

Yep that’s a 3-on the Tree, fun watching kids come up that have never seen that before! One recently ask, why does it have 2 brake pedals? Ok I didn’t answer him. As one teenager put it, at a local Cruise-in “ that’s sick” yep I agree, but I call it just plain cool! That’s how I learned to drive, in a 69 PU. But I have a 3 speed original LC floor shifter, if you must.No power steering, no power brakes, a/c ? ( 2/55 w working vents). Hey this is a Land Cruier in pure form. ( but you can always add those items )

The wiring was attended to, lights replaced where necessary, & yes it all works! The instruments work, except the Speedo.oil pressure gauge works & reads good Oil pressure. Voltmeter works, blinkers, wipers etc.Horn doesn’t work, have relay, or might need cleaning contacts in Steering column. The mileage shows 23,500 miles, but I have no idea what the real mileage is. I really do not believe it is real high, & nothing on this shows that it would be 123,000, (especially since it has the original exhaust on it!) My guess would be perhaps 25-27,000 mils, but again, I do not know. (Yes the exhaust needs to be replaced) but the point is, high mileage shows wear on parts, and this vehicle just doesn’t show that type of usage! Again, Gas, Volt, Oil Pressure, blinkers all work. The Instrument Bezel , glove box door are painted red, it should be silver, to be Perfect restoration, easy to change if it really bothers you.

I took off the valve cover to powder coat & put a new gasket on. It was the original one on there. It was incredible clean inside, the rocker arms etc. I also powder coated the Air cleaner housing. The skid plate is also powder coated.

I have taken the front Bumper off; powder coated it & the brackets, & installed the D-rings. I also mention there are ¼” plates, 2 on each side reinforcing the D-rings, and this also strengthens the bumper as well. Also note I used all new 10.9 grade metric bolts They are also powder coated. I took the winch (original) and cleaned & painted it, I am told it works (not for sure), needs cable line. I do have the original controls. I also have the original tool kit & bottle jack. (Needs to be painted)

I purchased a Factory roll bar (this year didn’t come wit them) & installed. This means that the large rear jump seats need to be moved out to install, or replace with a later year small seats. The front 7 rears are in great shape & have the SOR seat covers on them. I refurbbed the heater, and replaced the motor. It needs to have the capacitor wire soldered. I also found original Defrost vent hoses (darn hard to find) & installed

I have new 4-core HD radiator for it, I haven’t installed yet, I may or may not get to it prior to selling, but it goes with it. The original one doesn’t leak & the LC runs cool, & yes I’ve driven it on a hot day, & yes it gets hot in Florida. I also have a new water pump, I figure might as well if going to change radiator! I have not hooked up the heater yet, waiting to drain the radiator, etc, and then run the heater lines. I also found an original set of firewall copper fitting, these are almost impossible to find.

I got the original doors, but no hard top. So I found a Top & top side panels/hatch & purchased form a LC restoration shop in Atlanta. I did some repair work to the Fiberglass lid & painted (single stage acrylic) it needs a headliner.
Fun part: I bought the new rubber gaskets & seals (just the lid to sides OEM rubber pieces was $239) not to mention the rest of the Top Seal kit. I also used Stainless Steel metric bolts to install. I took the doors apart, which requires dismantling the window frame, and put new Channel felts. Serviced the window regulator (one had to be replaced) I bought 2 in good condition, so there is a spare for the side not replaced. The door latches etc work well. I also installed new hatch seals, and rear door seals. Rear windows seals on the sides down the road could be replaced, but is easy to do. The qtr window seals are good.

OK Body; coming from a Hot Rod / muscle car guy, this body is in Great shape. I will not advertise as rust free, why, because there are no (or very, very few) 39-year-old vehicles that are rust free. I have had my cars at Barrett Jackson, & had way to many, I know cars, there is always something, & I just am not going to try to hide or deceive!
Now, the floors are solid on this LC, the panels & qtrs are really good. There is not rust in many of the usual places that these suffer from. There is a place that needs repair on the pass front fender, there is a small place on the rear panel, and the running boards need to be replaced. There are a couple of surface spots, and small places on the doors. All of which I am showing pictures of. There is a rust spot on the skidpan under the gas tank, not bad (look at the picture). The under side of the floor are in great shape, I have pressure washed, have treated with a rust inhibitor & started undercoating. You see light surface rust that is all, again this is a 71!
This LC was repainted at some point prior to when they stopped driving. It is a Driver-quality paint, at this point, with some scratches on it. The top panels are close but not exact color match. It is not bad enough to require an immediate repaint if you want to purchase & just enjoy for a while. The front grill is powder coated. Rear bumper needs painted, rear taillights work & I have a new spare. Needs an emblem on the back.
I want no surprises, so I am adding, while installing the Skid Plate today, (had it powder coated) I notice to small places on the pan under the Tool compartment (under the drivers seat), that needs attention, not bad though. I can't find anything on the Drivers or passengers floors, rear, floors, inner fender wells, etc. Also this has the original Tool Kit, the Grease gun still wrapped in it's original Plastic, & canvas pouch. I also have the bottle jack & handle, but they could use painting.

I did not intend to sell this, so what I was doing was to keep, not to fix or cover –up & sell. Why am I selling, because I have found another muscle car, & that’s what I really like to do & work on.

There is more to do, with paint & minor body work on the areas mentioned, some door gaskets, a few emblems (if you want perfect restoration), running boards etc, this could be a very, very nice & high dollar LC. A lot of the hard part is done, and this is not a highly modified LC. But if that’s what you want, a V-8 conversion etc (yep the hot rodder in me thought about it), this is one heck of a good vehicle to start with. If you want original, restoration well under way, well again, here you go! There is easily $5500-$6,000 in parts already spent on this FJ40. Not to mention the time & labor.

If you’ve never done this before, ( no offense if you have ) it adds up quick & I’ve seen & heard it many times (“ oh I’ll buy this one, it’s cheaper & I can fix it for less” yep then about $6k later & a couple of years, “ gee guess that one I looked at was a good buy”

I have DETAILED pictures of what I would consider " bad spots". Glad to send, not really all that bad

ALSO, I do have the rear jump seats. they are not installed, due to adding the factory Roll Bar, which did not come with this year. SOR sells a Bracket Kit to do this installation, or you can make one,or just install them further out & maybe put a brace from the seat to the floor, lots of options there, or sell these, and buy the smaller seats from a later year.I personally like these larger seats. ALSO all of the seats frames are in great shape, & have SOR seat covers, I left off one of the rear covers so you can see the frame & vinyl.

I’m not making money on this, I’m just moving on to another project. I probably have forgotten something, so ask or I’ll send you pictures!

Vin FJ40103xxx,( pre 9/71), F Engine 6cyl, 236.7 cu. In., 3878cc inline 6, 3-speed manual, column shift. Clear Florida Title

$8500.00 o.b.o

71 Toy Landcruiser pictures by rascalsrodscustoms1 - Photobucket

oldcarguys@comcast.net

Last edited:
Great looking cruiser!!!!

Last edited:
FS 71 FJ40, JAx, FL

Pathfinder,
yep, same FJ, I got it from Steve, and continued to put money in it, added the top, sides, rear hatch, seals for that,window channels, powdercoating, etc, etc, I'm trying to get what I got in it, out of it, I bought a Tacoma for the Hunt Camp, found a early Mustang just gotta have ,,,,,,so can't own them all,,at once,,,,, anybody intrested back-up on the Photobucket, I 'm not an expert, but have had my share of old projects, & 30-50 year old vehicles, this one is a nice truck, no smoke, runs good ec. I prefer someone to come look at it, or have it looked at, so no " you didt tell me that" from an non-expereinced buyer, that's why I posted here,,,, I really dread Flea-Bay, but the Blue Oval's calling (even a GM guy like me), thanks, Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom