Frustrating leak search, Wet floorboards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve read and searched and read some more and i think I’ve got it narrowed down to the windshield gasket but I’m not 100% sure where or how my front floordboard is getting DRENCHED. Both driver and passenger side is pretty soaked, as we have been getting absolutely dumped on with rain the past 2 days. Hopefully someone that has laid their eyes on this exact problem can help from my photos.

As a prerequisite to my request here’s what I’ve done to narrow it down to what I think is the windshield gasket. Make note that the headliner is not wet in any location whatsoever.
1. Cleaned out sunroof drains, front and rear at all corners. Poured hot, cold, even soapy water (I read that helps?), and once I thought I was 100% clear of debris I blew 50 psi air in the fronts from top, then from the bottom for the rears while a friend watched the pan from up top to make sure no “trash” came out. Poured water in and made sure it flowed out quickly without building up in the sunroof pan. All drains flowed easily.
2. Silicon the gaps in the sunroof channel towards the front that tend to let water overflow and allow water seep through the screw that holds the channel down. No water was present here before but now im 99.9999999% sure it’s not coming from here after silicon.
3. Checked to eleminate the possibility that the heater core is leaking. My coolant level is perfect, the water in the floor doesn’t have a strange color or odor, and the carpet is drier (more dry?) towards the transmission hump. 100% sure that can’t be the source.
4. My ac drain is draining properly. Plus my seven mile drive from the shop to home wouldn’t allow the amount of water that’s gathering up, and doesn’t it explain why my drivers side floor is soaked.

So, After all that, I laid in some water drenched floorboards with a flashlight and searched near and far, high and low and couldn’t tell where or if the windshield was leaking. Does anyone have photos or know where the water runs to get to the floor from the windshield?

Attached is the drivers side floor to simply show how far and how much water has soaked the carpet. Then the drivers side kick panel, showing that the water isn’t simply dripping from under the dash but coming from somewhere beside the rocker panel.
I planned on trying the roofers silicon solution, but I’ve simply ran out of time for the night and have gotten siriously frustrated.

44FB14B6-ECCC-4440-8DC4-A68C065967C9.jpeg

CDCD043A-2470-416A-B095-1832940907DA.jpeg

It leaks down from the windshield gasket and follows a trail down behind the right side of the glove compartment. Pull the glove compartment door out and stick your head under there and take a look as someone runs a hose over your window. You’ll see where it comes from.

Damn... just saw your pics. It’s on the driver side, but the same is true. The water just travels and drips down onto the floorboards from behind the dash. You need to reseal the windshield. I’ve gotta do the same thing.

Damn... just saw your pics. It’s on the driver side, but the same is true. The water just travels and drips down onto the floorboards from behind the dash. You need to reseal the windshield. I’ve gotta do the same thing.

Driver and passenger side are both soaked, driver side is just the worst of the two. Prob going to get a shop to do the job, truck was purchased from a state that required registration stickers in the corners of the windshield, so it needs a good cleaning anyways.

I’ve gotta research this a bit too. I’ve heard that it’s better to use the OEM gasket and then use sealant as well. I planned on ordering a gasket and giving it to the window installer to use, along with instructions to use some sealant.

I’ve gotta research this a bit too. I’ve heard that it’s better to use the OEM gasket and then use sealant as well. I planned on ordering a gasket and giving it to the window installer to use, along with instructions to use some sealant.

I’ve read the same. I’ve got some photos from another thread of the FSM illustrations showing the repair/proper way of installation. Now to find the time of day

Hey mud I still need some help. So far I’ve put some sealant on the gasket that came on the truck when I purchased it, on the glass side and on the body side. Leaking didn’t slow down at all. Figured I might’ve screwed up so I got the gasket replaced by an extremely reputable shop yesterday and still have wet floorboards. I’ve seen this leak before, but can anyone look at this photo and tell me if you had the same problem and what the solution was. Photo is of the drive sick A pillar/kick panel, the support that runs across the dash. Passenger side appears to be leaking in the same exact spot

E0AB8A65-BCE7-40D6-BF16-4F7AA1B54B42.jpeg

Pull the cowl cover under the wipers and inspect the area under there to determine if it is full of debris and or rust holes to allow water in.

Otherwise, it's STILL the windshield seal or the sunroof.

Tape over the seams on the sunroof with Gorilla Duct Tape. That will eliminate it from the equation for a period of time (need to replace it when it gets hot and peels off.....)

Could also do the same on the windshield.
If you tape off both and the leak stops, it's one of them.
If you tape one and the leak stops, it's THAT one......

Other things you can check:
Are all the plugs still in the firewall where all wires/hoses/cables penetrate?
Is the rubber seal around the steering shaft still intact?
Are the fender well flaps still intact to help keep the splashed water out of the engine compartment and off the firewall?

I'm guessing it's STILL the windshield seal.

I think you’ll have to get a hose and just track it down. Everything @BILT4ME said is perfect. Start there.

Also, do you know if the fenders, doors, or hinges have ever been off the truck? There is seam sealer from the factory to prevent water from penetrating in these areas. Sometimes people forget to reapply the sealant when putting the panels back on the truck. I’ve seen water leak pretty bad in a 60 series there, I cannot recall if the 80 has the same issue, but if you can’t trace it to the windscreen or the sunroof, it’s a good place to investigate next.

Last edited:
Unfortunately many of us have been bitten by this. If the reputable window guy didn't follow the manual specification, the reputable window guy didn't install it right.

Guys thanks for the help and reassurance this far. I’m man enough to admit my “reputable glass Dr” fudged up on this one.
Driver and passenger corners are leaking so bad water is pooling up on the gasket inside the cab.

07140CEF-E69B-44B4-8B44-9600EA9DFA20.jpeg

126BF62B-7450-437E-A176-F2F8B31F6D8A.jpeg

You have all won a Golden ticket. Hopefully this is my only supply of water.
I’ve read on this forum of at least 15-20 cases of “I took my truck to a 5-star windshield repair shop and it still leaks”, guess I can join that party.
Anyways, just printed off 4 pages from the FSM to show the installer tomorrow, really hope things don’t get ugly at his shop. I believe he really does do good work, but I have read and heard nightmare stories about these windshields, so he’s not the first one to be at fault, I just hope he cooperates since his receipt says “12 month leak, chip, craftsmanship guarantee”

Yep. I had a 60 do the same thing.

There is actually two different sealants used for a proper windshield install. A body to gasket sealant and a separate and different sealant for the glass to gasket.

We are getting the same rain in Arkansas and I hate to think about my 80. It will stay dry for months and all of a sudden the floor is wet on the passenger side. I haven't figured it out yet. It leaks rarely. It was wet a week ago and I dried it out, took the whole dash apart (had already checked the sunroof) and ran a hose over the outside. Found nothing, so I put it back together. I have had the cowl off and made a vacuum hose to run down in the cowl and suck everything out.

Mine isn't the windshield, sunroof, or cowl drains so who knows.

Yep. I had a 60 do the same thing.

There is actually two different sealants used for a proper windshield install. A body to gasket sealant and a separate and different sealant for the glass to gasket.

We are getting the same rain in Arkansas and I hate to think about my 80. It will stay dry for months and all of a sudden the floor is wet on the passenger side. I haven't figured it out yet. It leaks rarely. It was wet a week ago and I dried it out, took the whole dash apart (had already checked the sunroof) and ran a hose over the outside. Found nothing, so I put it back together. I have had the cowl off and made a vacuum hose to run down in the cowl and suck everything out.

Mine isn't the windshield, sunroof, or cowl drains so who knows.

It’s irritating as hell to say the least. I know it’s keeping me from putting new sound deadened and insulation in.
After reading the FSM and attempting to seal the old gasket myself while it was on the truck, I’m pretty sure I could remove and install this windshield properly if I had some decent vacuum suction cups and a friend that had at least one arm, not sure what the glass weighs but it’s bulky either way so I’m sure I couldn’t do it alone

You have all won a Golden ticket. Hopefully this is my only supply of water.
I’ve read on this forum of at least 15-20 cases of “I took my truck to a 5-star windshield repair shop and it still leaks”, guess I can join that party.
Anyways, just printed off 4 pages from the FSM to show the installer tomorrow, really hope things don’t get ugly at his shop. I believe he really does do good work, but I have read and heard nightmare stories about these windshields, so he’s not the first one to be at fault, I just hope he cooperates since his receipt says “12 month leak, chip, craftsmanship guarantee”

Also make sure it is a TOYOTA gasket. That is the other half of the issue. The aftermarket gaskets rarely ever mate properly.

Also make sure it is a TOYOTA gasket. That is the other half of the issue. The aftermarket gaskets rarely ever mate properly.

I purchased the gasket from Toyota so I know that’s correct. It looked to be much better quality than what it replaced, just hate that it’s going to waste

I purchased the gasket from Toyota so I know that’s correct. It looked to be much better quality than what it replaced, just hate that it’s going to waste

Should be able to reuse, just cleaning it up.

Will they not have to get the water out from under the gasket and apply sealant?
Should pull the whole windshield again, pull the seal, clean it all up, reinstall.

Should pull the whole windshield again, pull the seal, clean it all up, reinstall.
ive never done glass work before but i was under the impression it had to be cut out. Im sure its been done before but i would imagine prying a rubber gasket/molding off would cause it to stretch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom