Frustrated...Stripped threads need guidance... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I am putting back in my transmission today and I finally get the transmission lined up with the engine, I started a couple bolts on the bottom of the bell housing and the bolt that goes through the starter into the bell housing; well my brilliant ass stripped the threads not on the bolt but the housing itself. Im so mad I could spit, my first time doing a clutch job ever so, just give me some guidance if yall could, thank you in advance...

Andy

Is it the top stud? I'm not home now where I can look at my spare tranny in the basement, but can't you just drill it thru and put a longer bolt in, with a nut behind it? I would think the tranny is gonna have to come back down to do this though.

X2 It just has to work, I'd drop the trans, drill out the hole, go get a longer bolt, with a couple washers and a nylock nut (the kind with the insert so it won't loosen up) and stick it back together. It'll be a pain and you might need a hand to get it in and out from now on, but for less than $5.... You're back on the road. :cheers:

what the hell are you all on crack. drill it out one size larger and go by a thred tap and either tap it out to a larger size bolt, but that sucks when you are going to change out the starter (having to use diferent size sockets) so you can get new threds and just screw them into the larger hole. I cant rember the name but you can find them. call napa and push start your happy a$$ down there and pick one up make sure to take the bolt so you get the right thred.

I wouldn't go the "nest size larger" route, as then the starter won't fit, you'd have to drill it out too. But the Helicoil isn't a bad solution. Worth a try, it's just a lot more expensive than a longer bolt and a nut. You have to buy the "kit" that includes the drillbit and tap, and for one install it's kinda not cost effective.

KLF is right, there are lots of trucks around here running around with nuts behind the bellhousing. My '83 has been that way since '97 or '98. Initially I intended for it to be a temporary fix, thinking that the next time I had it out I'd just grab a bellhousing from Jim's parts stash, but it has served rough duty that way for years so I put it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom