Frustrated - need help with vent/vacuum lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok- here is situation: ‘78 fj40 w/‘75 2f

when putting in my new fuel tank, I tried to get all fancy with vacuum lines and charcoal canisters and when I drive above 40 the fj40 stalls out from fuel starvation. The only thing left for me to undo is the setup I tried for the tank venting. I read 1,000 different opinions and setups and I think I just created a giant vacuum circular reference that stopped fuel flow to my carb at higher speeds.

Original setup: Removed old poly tank that was leaking. It had a non-vented gas cap. It had the tank vent hose dump out fumes under cab. Ie open tube. Yes had vapor separator off tank. No check valve. Just a hose to dump vapors. The fj40 ran great but did smell of gas fumes

My New thought setup: CCOT metal tank. I put in the vapor check valve after separator. Ran the fuel vapor line to an after market 2-port charcoal canister (tank) inlet. The second outlet is the PURGE outlet. Where do I run this to? Can I just run it to one of the air intake nipples? My carb is connected to the distributor…(vacuum?) do I T it into that carb/distributor line?

Or…is it just easiest to return to the orig setup. Just dump fumes from a cut hose.

I live in Georgia…so I don’t need to worry about any emissions.

Thanks for the help

Okay, I just went and studied the lines under the hood on my '77- the charcoal canister has a third line at the underside which is open to atmosphere with a (I believe) check valve. The purge line runs from top of CC across the firewall in a hardline - then soft line to a VCV / (or) VSV ? mounted on inside of fender, then the line from that valve goes to the gas filter at the top and front side of the intake manifold.
HTH

Okay, I just went and studied the lines under the hood on my '77- the charcoal canister has a third line at the underside which is open to atmosphere with a (I believe) check valve. The purge line runs from top of CC across the firewall in a hardline - then soft line to a VCV / (or) VSV ? mounted on inside of fender, then the line from that valve goes to the gas filter at the top and front side of the intake manifold.
HTH
Thanks for checking
I don’t have the oem canister
I have an aftermarket ac Delco one that only has two ports. “Tank” & “purge”

Thanks for checking
Yea, I saw that; perhaps you could 'add' a third vent at the bottom without a check valve- I do not believe the vacuumdraw is very strong.

Thanks for checking

i offer the updated CHECK VALVE and one way in smog compliant gas cap oem also

please see links below

you absoluty need these 2 parts to keep things all safe and happy with your job scope long term on the oem fuel vapors system in general

thanks matt

1657068603405.png

1657068618654.png

1657068678802.png

1657068704949.png

i offer the updated CHECK VALVE and one way in smog compliant gas cap oem also

please see links below

you absoluty need these 2 parts to keep things all safe and happy with your job scope long term on the oem fuel vapors system in general

thanks matt

View attachment 3051103
View attachment 3051104

View attachment 3051106
View attachment 3051107
Thanks
I have all the parts and extras. Just trying to figure out best way to connect all.

I’m not interested in any smog regulations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom