Frustrated Looking For A Power Steering Press Fit Pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read it must be hundreds of threads and cant find the answer to what pulley would fit on my gm power steering pump. It is a JTO conversion, it has the press fit pulley that is NOT keyed, and the shaft is 5/8 inch. I have seen Volvo pulley from 1980 240dl. Ordered new one does not fit. Ordered another number that was on a thread does not fit. Looked at a website for Martin Sprocket and Gear and the pulley looked correct but the insert that was recommended was keyed. I have searched and searched even went to the local parts store even junkyards but they are so computerized they cant or wont just go in the back and see if they have a pulley that would work. I just saw another thread to call Classic Cruisers because they have a pulley but they are not open today so I sent an email probably wont hear back until Monday so I dont know if this is the answer or not. HELP

It is a JTO conversion, it has the press fit pulley that is NOT keyed, and the shaft is 5/8 inch.

What do our friends at JTO say today?

What do our friends at JTO say today?
Well as usual with those guys they have the narrow pulley and it works but i could never get the squeal out of it so I am looking for the wide pulley. They said they have heard it may be an older volvo pulley but they did not know model year or anything else so they offered to sell me a narrow pulley. I can get a narrow pulley locally the problem is I want the wide belt pulley so it will stop squealing.

Change the pump to the key/nut style(older Chevy) and then you can get a new, billet aluminum pump pulley that will work with the wide Land Cruiser belt.

Otherwise, you will need to find an older, 70s era 240 Volvo and get the whole pump/pulley/adapter affair.
The Volvos use a Saginaw pump with a press on style shaft, but, they use an adapter to bolt the wide groove pulley onto the pump shaft.

Change the pump to the key/nut style(older Chevy) and then you can get a new, billet aluminum pump pulley that will work with the wide Land Cruiser belt.

Otherwise, you will need to find an older, 70s era 240 Volvo and get the whole pump/pulley/adapter affair.
The Volvos use a Saginaw pump with a press on style shaft, but, they use an adapter to bolt the wide groove pulley onto the pump shaft.
Thanks I think I will just get a new pump and pulley do you know what year and motor and does the wide pulley come with that same year? Sorry but most auto parts shops and junkyards want to reference year and motor etc. Thanks again at least I now have a direction.

I just went through this myself on my 78 FJ40LV-KCJA rebuild this year (close...so close to completion).
I too have the JTO power steering conversion kit but wanted a larger pulley to accommodate the oem size belts.
The JTO pump, as you know is tapered and not keyed, I could not find a wider pulley that wasn't keyed. The JTO Saginaw pump replacement
is a Cardone 20-6800. I messaged and then called george@valley hybrids and cruiser brothers, ih8mud member: orangefj45 at 209-475-8808 and he told me I needed an earlier saginaw pump from Autozone, a Duralast 6000, which is keyed and threaded with a nut. His company also has aluminum billet keyed pulleys for oem belts. I also bought one of these, kinda pricey but eliminated more searching. I also tried a McMaster Carr keyed pulley and bushing but when I received it I could not believe its weight, there's no way the pump would last long with this pulley on the shaft. I have the pump and pulley installed but haven't fired it up yet, I also installed a power steering fluid cooler. Give George a call or start a conversation with him here on mud.
Joseph

Thanks I think I will just get a new pump and pulley do you know what year and motor and does the wide pulley come with that same year? Sorry but most auto parts shops and junkyards want to reference year and motor etc. Thanks again at least I now have a direction.
Quoted you to get your attention to the info above :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom