fruitless Roof rack searching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching for days now. I've read tons of threads and probably 20 of those 4+ times each, used many different search criteria--key words in entire thread and only in title. I've learned a lot but am stuck with only hints to what I'm looking for. Here's the situation...

I removed the factory roof rack minus the rubber rib tracks. I was left with 16 holes. Luckily I only thought it rusty enough in 2 of the holes to remove the 'nutserts'. So, I know how to refill and waterproof 14 holes that still have the nutserts secured in there, but the perplexing issue...

I have 2 holes that I have removed the 'nutserts' from and do not know how to fill and waterproof them. I know welding would be ideal, but I don't have the resources for that right now. e9999 mentioned briefly in a thread I found a goop, and washer and screw for this situation, but that's about as much as I could find on filling the factory roof rack nutsert-less holes.

Any knowledge or tips would be great... or even if someone has a link to the thread where this is specifically explained would be helpful (I believe that explanation's out there but after days of searching and reading and reading and rereading and rereading, I have not found an explanation on how to fill the nutsertless roof rack holes):hmm:

I've driven around to hardware stores and have been unable to find a rubber stopper for these nutsertless holes in my roof... any ideas besides welding them shut?!?!

I've driven around to hardware stores and have been unable to find a rubber stopper for these nutsertless holes in my roof... any ideas besides welding them shut?!?!

I used Permatex Water Pump & Thermostat Housing RTV Silicone Gasket. Works great, seals and is safe for metal.

You might try an auto parts store for some black plastic plugs meant for interior panels. they have a large flat plastic head. use silicone to seal them up. I have not tried this yet.

I know firetruck41 said Silicone can be corrosive... anyone have any details on this claim? I used clear silicone (but it wasn't RTV, so I'm concerned about its corrosive-ness)

I'm reading up online about this non-RTV silicone corrosion factor. Those of you with knowledge about Silicone, have I just defeated the purpose of removing my roof rack in avoidance of rust?! errrr.

Should I remove all the screws with that non-RTV silicone on them and apply clear RTV silicone?

Last edited:
So, I'm going to take out the 14 screws I put in the roof that have the non-RTV silicone on them. I'm going to put the RTV silicone on some new screws and put them back in, hopefully undoing the corrosive silicone mistake:doh:...

my question...

Is there any foreseeable problem if I spray painted the screws black before I put silicone on them and back in the nutserts that are in the roof?

So, I'm going to take out the 14 screws I put in the roof that have the non-RTV silicone on them. I'm going to put the RTV silicone on some new screws and put them back in, hopefully undoing the corrosive silicone mistake:doh:...

my question...

Is there any foreseeable problem if I spray painted the screws black before I put silicone on them and back in the nutserts that are in the roof?

I believe the paint would act as a thin insulator, an insulating barrier of sorts (as one cannot paint 100% silicone, paint will not adhere). However, I'm not sure how that would translate in the real world of hot and cold, contraction and expansion.
I know some people have used JB Weld, as commented, so that is to be considered.
I like the characteristics of the Permatex as it remains semi-flexible and is designed for metal exposed to heat and moisture (coolant), expansion and contraction. For the time being, I have not bothered to (attempt to) paint over as it is so high, it is not normally visible.
Perhaps you can find the black screws at OSH, they should have them.

Last edited:
thanks for your help Voorland80. You think it'll be alright having put the wrong silicone in? I'd hate to cause more rust!

Where are you located?

went to Home Depot to get the plug E9999 used. They employees there were of no service. Asked a few of them and none of them could help.

I've got a couple more nutserts that are loose. I've got electrical tape over the only 2 missing the nutserts now. I'm thinking about just pulling all 14 of the remaining nutserts out--that would eliminate the non-RTV silicone thats inside all of them--and just put electrical tape over all the f'n holes until I get them welded in a year or whatever.

anyone got thoughts on that?

went to Home Depot to get the plug E9999 used. They employees there were of no service. Asked a few of them and none of them could help.

I've got a couple more nutserts that are loose. I've got electrical tape over the only 2 missing the nutserts now. I'm thinking about just pulling all 14 of the remaining nutserts out--that would eliminate the non-RTV silicone thats inside all of them--and just put electrical tape over all the f'n holes until I get them welded in a year or whatever.

anyone got thoughts on that?

Ice & Water Shield. ie Peal & Seal.

What is the corrosion inducing silcone story? I've never heard of that one.

Firetruck41 said some silicone is corrosive. Since reading his post in a roof rack thread I have seen others post that non-RTV silicone is corrosive. Unfortunately, that's what I used in 14 nutserts in my roof that I had to fill after removing factory roof rack.

Regarding non-RTV silicone corrosion: I saw multiple posts on various threads claiming silicone was corrosive. I ask the young employee at home depot, who was wandering the store looking to help, if he knew where the clear silicone was because I wanted to look at the ingredients to see if it were corrosive. He said it was not corrosive. (I left knowing that retail America is structured to satisfy the curious 'dumb' people out there and employ nothing close to 'experts' on specific questions such as corrosive factor of non-RTV silicone.) I came back and began research online. I'm no scientist, but from what I gathered both on MUD and throughout the internet I've deducted that the non-RTV silicone is corrosive because of its acidic nature (vinger like substance in it) and its need for air to cure. Once you apply the non-RTV silicone to say a screw, the silicon towards the head of the screw may cure and possibly the bottom depending on what you're screwing it into but the silicone in the threads through the middle of it will not cure do to lack of oxygen/air.

I pulled some of the screws out of my LC roof that I had applied non-RTV siliconon to 'seal' and waterproof. My conclusions were validated and the silicone at the top was cured but not throughout the threads in the middle.

I hope this helps some of you.

:ban:NON-RTV SILICONE IS CORROSIVE:ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom