frp top

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
how do you remove the doors and top on a 73
what is the sequence?

I did it on my 70 recently to put the rag top on... but just the top, doors are still on... There are 4 screws under the visors, two on the roll bar, and then three or four on the bottom (base) of each side taking the side panels off. Mine came with a bit of glue holding it in... i don't know if i would want to do it if its not a permanent thing, but urs might be different....

Good luck!

Mine has a bit different system.
1. Remove the quarter panel name plates (just behind the rear door posts on the outside, saying 'FRP Top').
2. Remove Front moulding (inside above windshield)
3. Remove Quarter trims and belt hole covers (two screws and several clips)
4. Remove Quater trim pocket (5 bolts)
5. Remove four plugs in the top of the roll-bar.

EACH side you'll find ten (10) bolts.
Two over the windshield
Two in the roll bar
One at the outside (behind the name plate)
four in the quarter panel, accessable from the inside
One on the very rear pillar ( had a little cap on it)

Have fun

Had the same problem with my FZJ74, thats because TOYOTA did not mention how to remove it in the owner's manual, they only mentioned the FZJ71 soft top and i guess thats the benefit of getting a JEEP WRANGLER: easy to remove and install the top.

but either way i sold it, and got a new FZJ71 hard top.

Back doors are a problem. Originally the upper part (glas and frame) has been detachable. Now a days they are not any more, at least not that I know off.
Either get two doors and cut the upper part off. Replace and keep the existing.
Or.....cut your doors and live with it.

If you got half doors, it's quite obvius how to remove the top. You got some black plastic cover with bolts inside. First remove the rubber band overlap, then the wires for the window heating, then the bolts attach to the frames. Then place the cowers for the frame holes

IMG_0244.jpg

Last edited:
the FRP top never came with the 2 ppiece doors.
IF we get orders for 6 sets then i can get Mike to make up fiberglass rear 1/2 doors for 70s...
last time i posted this up i got 2 responses where people were willing to put the money down...

It's funny how this topic comes up every year about this time, then peters off as the summer progresses.

Hey Wayne, Could you please refresh me as to how much the half doors would be approx?

1/2 doors

If the price is reasonable, I'm in for a set.

wayne, I'm in as long as they are cheaper than new OEM soft door bottoms.

Either way, a hardware donor will be needed unless you wanted to strip out the guts of tall doors for short when you needed.

(and I will just blow off the front door frames)

as an aside, FRP top trucks do have removable frames if they are not cold spec trucks (no defrost). Rikard's is a different situation- I can't explain why.

most (if not all) JDM's are cold spec, thence no un-bolt-able frames.

the FRP top never came with the 2 ppiece doors.
IF we get orders for 6 sets then i can get Mike to make up fiberglass rear 1/2 doors for 70s...
last time i posted this up i got 2 responses where people were willing to put the money down...

In europe the early light duty and some HD cruisers come with FRP and 2 piece doors. Every *J73 imported by Toyota from -87 to -90 in Norway is like mine and none with OEM soft top. And mine is a cold spec cruiser with double heaters and defrost.

Last edited:
No Instructions By Mr. TOYOTA in the owner manual

Me, my brother and my friend ordered 3 2002 FZJ74 but when we tried to remove the FRP Top there were no Instructions in the owner manual on how to remove it :whoops: . I went to the TOYOTA dealer to ask him if he can provide the instructions for me, actually they did not know the FZJ74 still exist, and when I found the person who know very few information about the FZJ74 he told me that the instructions are the dealer garage property and that he can not give it to me but he offered me to open it for me at a price and naturally I refused his offer.

The FZJ74 came without the two rubber pieces that hold the windshield in its place when it is folded down :whoops: . A Mistake by Toyota and I have seen this mistake on many FZJ74s and FZJ73s in many countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and many other places when I travel.

Another mistake when I ordered an Auxiliary Tank and surprised that TOYOTA JAPAN forgot or did not include the Base for the tank to be put on the rear door, were it should be :whoops: . Instead they just had it in a carton behind the rear seat without even a place for the Tank Base to be installed on the door.

Also, the Side doors and at least rear doors should be removable since this is a removable Top, they should automaticlly have it with the removable doors or half doors :whoops: . I was thinking later maybe I have to specify that I need the removable half doors when I ordered my FZJ74. I think this and all the above points I mentioned should come Automaticly with the removable top(FRP or Soft).

Do you know that Sadly the FZJ74 is no more available by Toyota for 2007, so there is no more Removable FRP Top or Soft Top LANDCRUISERs any more. :crybaby:

Anyway I love My FZJ74 and I will keep it for ever even if I was angry :mad: for some time at Mr. Toyota.

On a slightly different topic, whats the deal with soft tops. I have heard that some came factory with this. What I am wondering is if they can be fitted onto a BJ74 with the FRP top and if they are decent in the elements. I would consider going to one year round if they are air tightish. Also how can you get one here in Canada? any help would be great thanks.

owning 2 rag top 70s i can say they are VERY weather tight BUT...

they are noisy, very noisy over 110 k/h...

think the old 40 series and you will get the picture...

Romove windows from the FRP-top

Has anyone removed:wrench: the window-frame from the FRP-top?

I have read the workshop manual, but can't figure out how to do it?:bang:

Has anyone removed:wrench: the window-frame from the FRP-top?

I have read the workshop manual, but can't figure out how to do it?:bang:

After removing the FRP-top itself, remove the bolts in the topcorners of the dooropening at the windowframe side and then at the bottom of the frame where it meets the A-pillar.
To completely remove the window frame, remove the two black plastic caps at the bottom of the window and remove the three (six total) bolts.

Be carefull removing the plastic caps. They are easily damaged. Pry the sides slightly outward to remove. They more or less 'hook' behind the hinges:cheers:

After removing the FRP-top itself, remove the bolts in the topcorners of the dooropening at the windowframe side and then at the bottom of the frame where it meets the A-pillar.
To completely remove the window frame, remove the two black plastic caps at the bottom of the window and remove the three (six total) bolts.

Be carefull removing the plastic caps. They are easily damaged. Pry the sides slightly outward to remove. They more or less 'hook' behind the hinges:cheers:

Thanks for the info ...but:rolleyes:
I forgot to mention, I was asking about the sliding-window-frame :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom