Frozen/Seized spare tire holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So I finally got new shoes on BeBe and now have an appropriate spare seeing as one of the original S/T Maxx had gotten a bolt in it and was replaced under warranty. This left me with 3 tires that were running around 4/32" when I replace and one that was 8/32" (now the spare).

However, last week after soaking the mechanism with PB Blaster I was unable to get the chain to move at all. Anyone got any ideas on getting the system lose? How hard is it to remove the tire carrier all together from the frame so that I can hopefully clean it up?

Some people cut the chain to drop the tire, then take it all down, fix it, and install new chain. Ideally, you'd remove the entire carrier intact, of course.

$ bolts to remove and replace the unit from underneath the truck. 4 bolts to remove the mechanism with the chain. I sand blasted mine as it was frozen and then soaked it. Painted it all chassis black and ready for install.

Mine is pretty rusty, not like cancerous rusty but still lots of rust on it from years of being in the SLC rust belt. Would like to drop and repair if at all possible but at this point not sure what all is seized.

So next question is, looks like the top nuts are a bit of a bitch to get to with a normal wrench? Have long ratcheting breaker bar for the bottom but is this more a two man job? Or is there an acceptable area to brace a wrench against up top?

I just used a box end wrench for the top and with the breaker bar on the bottom it will rotate the top wrench against the frame and all you have to do is hold it in place while you wrench the bottom breaker bar. Good luck.

Mine was stuck as well. I coated the mechanism and chain in FluidFilm, and just worked it back and forth little at a time until it finally came loose. Then ran it through a few up and down cycles to make sure it was moving freely. It was pretty messy but seemed to knock it loose. Working good now. PB Blaster should have done the trick I would think so maybe yours is actually broken inside.

Seems like you are sort of working on removing it now to fix but thought I would offer a solution that worked for me with it still in place. HTH.

Yeah it is pretty rusty under there and would like to remove and clean it up if at all possible. If nothing else this would be for longevity sake. While BeBe will be going up on the "For Sale" chopping block soon-ish, I still don't want to hand over issues like this to the potential new owner.

Say it ain't so. 60 Forum won't be the same.
Yeah unfortunately, life just has different ideas. Planning to get a 100 Series, eventually will get another 60 way down the road as I know I will miss rowing my own gears. But just don't have the means or want to have 3 vehicles with one that does nothing more than sit for the occasional offroad trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom