Frozen gas pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So just last night, Jason and I finally got the steering box back on. This morning, I tried starting her up, but was unable to depress the gas pedal.

I haven't washed it since mudding a few weeks back and it's been well below freezing all that time. Is it possible that some mud clumps got lodged and froze somewhere in the mechanical setup for the gas pedal?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Joel

Check the cable. It can get moisture or old grease inside it that freezes solid. See if you can move the carb throttle under the hood.

the carb throttle moves freely...so just check the cable between the carb and the pedal?

No no, I disagree. It is not the cable. It has something to do with working on the steering.

Three weeks ago I rebuilt the center arm bracket. The following morning I started the truck up to go wheeling and the gas peddle stuck down. It was the first time it has happened in the 6 years I have owned this truck. I thought maybe it was a broken or tired spring but after a few miles it came back on its own and I haven't had the problem since.

This is the second case of working on steering and having the gas peddle stick.

There is a definite pattern here. :D

while you guys are in here, i'm having the same problem (sort of) my cable is moving alright but my carb linkages are freezing up. i made the mistake of WD-40'ing them one morning when i was in a rush to get to work, and it got me there alright but they've been frozen every morning since. any ideas how i can get rid of the WD-40 and keep the linkages from freezing every day?

No no, I disagree. It is not the cable. It has something to do with working on the steering.

Three weeks ago I rebuilt the center arm bracket. The following morning I started the truck up to go wheeling and the gas peddle stuck down.

...at least you got somewhere...fast...

Came home from work this afternoon, pressed the pedal, and, after some resistance, it freed itself. The "heat" of the afternoon must have thawed the cable.

Thanks (once again) for your help. MUD rules.

Joel

It might be a clue that it is time for a new cable.:eek:

I agree that it is the cable. Had the same thing happen on control cables on a duck boat when it was 11* out one morning. Water gets inside the sheath and freezes. I'd try a heat gun on the cable to try to get the moisture out, then while it is warm/hot, add some drops of TriFlow or other good lube to each end of the cable and continue to apply heat, the lube will wick to the heat like solder.

GL

Ed

while you guys are in here, i'm having the same problem (sort of) my cable is moving alright but my carb linkages are freezing up. i made the mistake of WD-40'ing them one morning when i was in a rush to get to work, and it got me there alright but they've been frozen every morning since. any ideas how i can get rid of the WD-40 and keep the linkages from freezing every day?
Any kind of spray carb cleaner will remove the buildup of oil & dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom