Froth in oil/Electrical problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BOZ

Threads
Need some help guys.

Have a 97 lx450 and today I noticed the gas gauge was lower than it should be, the engine temp said zip and the batter did not register any volts. Noticed the oil pressure was zip as well.

Checked the oil and found froth( not a good sign, I know):crybaby:

I am running 5w synth.

What is causing the electrical problem and the oil froth.
(could the oil pump be doing this?)
I see no sign of fluid leaks from the block.

It has been faily cold (in the teens)

Need some feed back

Boz

Dunno about the froth without more info - I'm sure someone will suggest HG.

Failing alternators can play some strange electrical tricks -- any warning lights come on?

what kind of froth? water or air?

check the gauge fuese, 10a IIRC.

The froth is tan colored and like paste or scum. I will look at the fuse again.

Holy crap Batman, this does not look good.

BOZ said:
The froth is tan colored and like paste or scum.

Collected from where?

Holy crap Batman, this does not look good.

Maybe, but slow down. Sounds like an electrical issue alerted you to a probably unrelated, potentially more serious (but possibly non) issue.

One step at a time,

Curtis

ok tan milkey looking stuff is likely water, in cold weather (like Alaska winter) and especially with short trips you can get some water ushually seen on the bottom fo the oil cap, but sometimes on the dipstick also. although not good for your engine it can be "normal" as in not caused by anything but cool temperatures not letting the engine expell normal water present in combustion blowby, a PCV problem can also cause this.

are you loosing any coolant? go on a nice long drive does it go away? oil change?

excessive water in oil can degread the oil and eventually the engine. short trips sometimes require short oil change intervals.

I suspect the oil and electrical problems are unrelated. You didn't mention coolant levels, but generally when it gets low the coolant is no longer flowing past the sensor so it needs to be checked ASAP.

Froth on the dipstick is not a good sign. What's on the bottom of your oil filler cap??

DougM

Boz

What kind of service does this vehicle see? Average length of trip?

Have you checked to cooling system level yet?

Extreme heat in the presence of excessive moisture is going to spell massive oxidation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom