Frost plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to install my block heater tommorw and was just looking at my block where are the frost plugs located exactly?

Anyone have a pic?

Thanks for any help

Never mind I found them under the injector lines.

lol

remove the edic motor for ease of installation and stick it in the rear plug...
20 min job..
cheers

Frost plugs? Are these to plugs the holes in the head and block made when casting to form the water jackets. We call them Welch Plugs if its the same, just wondering.
If so do you use stainless steel plugs on your diesel motor when replacing them? Like them or not.
Edic motor, wish we had translator software at times. cheers guys,

replacing them? why would you do that?

I just need to knock one out for a block heater, lol

Prolly don't see to many block heaters on austrlian trucks

Eric, I have not replaced them on a diesel motor thats why I asked, also have not seen or even heard of a block heater before but I understand why it would be a good thing. But have had to replace them on petrol motors from rust& electrolisys etc On the petrol engines I always use stainless steel plugs but a lot of people don't like s/steel as it is not very sacrificial and some reckon they are more prone to dislodge.Thanks for the info,few of the Canadian /Us terms are a bit hard to catch onto at times for us kangaroo chasers. :)

lol, man I wish I lived in austrlia, Do you guys get winter there?

not much in the north, thats why the Southern States invade during their winter. My town if a bit north of 20deg latitude about the same distance from the equator as Mexico City.
Scan10016.jpg

We haven't got your mountains and lakes though. :cheers:

well I am finding this is kinda a PITA without removing that EDIC motor, what is the best way of doing this, is it the small bolts on the top?

I have already knocked in the frost plug, a friend of mine kept saying wheres it going to go, it is just gonna rattle around in there and slow coolent movement, I said it isn't sopposed to matter or hurt anything.

I have the heater in there, but it doesn't seem like it wants to be at 12 O clock, in the instructions it says 11 or 12 o clock in the rear hole. I also noticed it almost seems like it is too big, the instuction list for a 3b so I think I just need more room to work.

cheers

I feel your pain,
been there, done that, got the t-shirt. removing the edic is easy, 3 10mm bolts in triangle pattern on top of edic, and pull off the arm of course.
cheers,
Deny

do I have it in the right hole or does it go in the lower one you can barely see?

That's where mine is, but I don't think it matters which one you put it in, just how much room there is for you to be able to put it in.

it doesn't seem to wanna go in that hole, the lower ones look a little bigger!

Oh crap, is that the top set of frost plugs (tough to see in that angle), because if so, they are only 30mm, while the bottom ones are 35 mm. I had an old block heater in the upper ones as well, that didn't work and started leaking, just go and get a rubber, adjustable 30mm frost plug (this is what I did, after trying endlessly to bang in a metal plug) Then try putting it in the lower plug. you should probably measure it to be sure it will fit.
Cheers,
Deny

I was wondering why the GD thing wasn't going in the hole way, I thought those bottom ones looked a little bigger. So you can buy adjustable frost plugs eh? I will just go get one tommrow, thanks for the help Deny.

Hopefully it will be easier to get it in the lower one

I feel llike such an idiot
well I was just putting the heater element in the lower hole and I somehow dropped the little metal piece that mushrooms the clamping part of it into the block. How is that going to be floating around, it seems impossible to get out as there is no room in there. I'm going to try to buy some type of magnet to fish it out, will it hurt anything? two frost plugs and that in the bottom of the motor!!

Last edited:
Is the O ring on the new heater supposed to go right inside the block? it seems that the bottom tightens weel and the top is still out.

Hey

I wish I had seen your thread earlier.
It was a bitch to get mine in to. You are in the bottom row now right?
The oring should not be visible at all I had to pinch in on the spreader bar on the back of the heater to get mine to fit. You have to wiggle it around and grease the oring to get it in all the way. The element had to face straight up i think in order for it to fit properly. I know your hand is all cramped up by now but just keep at it. You may be having a problem with that spreader bar so pull it out if you can and pinch it so it clears real well . Like i said the oring will not show and the brass neck will be flush with the block.

HTH

Challis
:beer: :beer:

thats what I figured, I am just taking a little break and I will go back at it. thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom