Frontrunner Rack fuel/water storage options for Scepter MFC/MWC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking for ideas or solutions on mounting 2-4 Scepter fuel/water cans on a Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack. All of the fuel can holders on their website are for the Nato cans. I like the 45L water container with mount, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Plus I have invested/standardized on the Scepter cans so would like to find an elegant way to transport them.

I have a Bajarack water can holder now that I have adapted to work with the FR rack, but I am not really impressed. The design seems half-baked.

Would love to see others solutions. I was thinking about these corner brackets, but wanted to see what else was out there. Another plus (but not a requirement) would be a holder that separates into a base and a top piece so I can leave the base attached to the rack and just remove the top piece to fit in the garage.

Thanks for any input!

book-ends.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just wondering how the corner brackets you are considering will be a better option than the BajaRack can holder that you already have....

WCan-01.jpg

This can holder looks a bit more refined and probably more $$. Not sure if the top half can be separated though.
http://www.mojaveoffroad.com

287d1b4795c49aee7bd28dc896631805.jpg

Maybe not. I was just disappointed with the baja rack holder and wanted to see if anything else was available. I'm actually suprised FR didn't design their holder to support Scepter cans as well given how popular they are.

Sorry, I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong section. :bang: Mods please move.

I am looking for ideas or solutions on mounting 2-4 Scepter fuel/water cans on a Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack. All of the fuel can holders on their website are for the Nato cans. I like the 45L water container with mount, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Plus I have invested/standardized on the Scepter cans so would like to find an elegant way to transport them.

I have a Bajarack water can holder now that I have adapted to work with the FR rack, but I am not really impressed. The design seems half-baked.

Would love to see others solutions. I was thinking about these corner brackets, but wanted to see what else was out there. Another plus (but not a requirement) would be a holder that separates into a base and a top piece so I can leave the base attached to the rack and just remove the top piece to fit in the garage.

Thanks for any input!

book-ends.jpg

sdnative,

I'm sure we can find something easily adaptable to the Front Runner rack you currently have. We have a couple things that may aid in mounting that are not available via website. Feel free to email me directly and we can swap some photos and come up with a resolution.

-Bryan
Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Bryan, sent you an email. Thanks.

Seen a couple threads here on the FR roof racks with quick responses from them and willingness to work through questions and issues. Nice to see good support of their product and customer service. Makes me want to buy one even more (but still trying to figure out where I'll park the Land Cruiser as it will be too tall for the garage door opening). Working on it, though!

Seen a couple threads here on the FR roof racks with quick responses from them and willingness to work through questions and issues. Nice to see good support of their product and customer service. Makes me want to buy one even more (but still trying to figure out where I'll park the Land Cruiser as it will be too tall for the garage door opening). Working on it, though!

x2. Very happy with the company and the product. A little pricey though.

Anyone else carry Scepter cans on their Front Runner rack? Am I the only one?

Sorry @sdnative, wish I could help, but I went w/ Rotopax on top.

Decided to go low profile as much as possible.

1999-land-cruiser-with-rack-jpg.829110

Anyone ever run a longer frontrunner on the 100? They have a 70 series rack that's about 93" vs the 83". My RTT is 72" and would like a full 2 feet up front. Would stick forward of windshield by a few inches. I'd run it with 4 legs.

Sorry @sdnative, wish I could help, but I went w/ Rotopax on top.
Decided to go low profile as much as possible.

No worries! I like the Rotopax, but they just don't have enough capacity for the cost.

Anyone ever run a longer frontrunner on the 100? They have a 70 series rack that's about 93" vs the 83". My RTT is 72" and would like a full 2 feet up front. Would stick forward of windshield by a few inches. I'd run it with 4 legs.

I haven't seen the longer rack, although I do use 4 feet on mine for the extra support.

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424413334.905862.jpg
why not use what front runner designed? I don't recall the price but it works beautifully.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424413382.779338.jpg

Just thought of this, but the rail that the feet attach to only goes so far. I had to attach the forward feet at the very end of the rail and my rack ends close to the front of the sunroof. A longer rack would have too much unsupported length up front. You may be able to put very light stuff up there, but nothing significant.

Bryan, you should post pics here. I am dealing with the same issue. I have the Frontrunner dual jerry can holder. From my measurements, all that should need to be done is bend up a new top bracket.

FYI - I called the number for the fuel can holder pictured above, they are Out of business and a new company took over.

Hey @skygear,

We were working with someone looking for a solution but we never ended up with a finish product. We are in the works of sending a few cans to SA and having a mount made. I am not sure how long it will be until we see a finished product. The fitment I have seen most often on our Roof Racks are the Baja Mounts. Unfortunately, I know many people do not like the design because of the high profile it has.

I can definitely keep you posted.
Hope all is well.
Bryan

I use the Front Runner holder for Nato cans, and the BajaRack holder for water cans. It works ok. Arrangement in first picture is for longer trips when I carry two fuel and two water cans. Other arrangement is for shorter trips when I carry one of each in the BajaRack holder and don't use the Front Runner holder.

IMG_2167.jpg

DSC_7900.jpg

DSC_7849.jpg

Thanks brian. I will post this here for all and did so on EP also.

FrontRunner Outfitters Dual Nato Jerry Can holder & Black Scepter MFC's ? YES!!! - Expedition Portal!!!

3278fbe1d8089d99ac6730b63092ed86.jpg

492e5ee7cb74492b3f7a0841b6a039e6.jpg
9ef9110f1dcb52d2fe58e8fd2bfe3c93.jpg
1036ad302669e0b17ae52ff87dde16d9.jpg
0871b000b0afbccfc62e8b8b6a22346f.jpg
91d7271267926a6ce28284ac8cbf2ed1.jpg
3a8780c0403951e2951d6562bb2bae35.jpg

The plan is to flare the bottom a little of the holder. Also i want to add a 'C' shaped bar across the front that wraps around the sides a bit to protect the caps and side to side movement.

The same 'bar' across the top would work in front if there was a second one. Also, the bar across the top, if there were long eyes instead of a hole, I could adjust the bracket over a little on the drivers side of the holder to accommodate the cans being centered better. Will work on it later today while the wife is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom