Front winch "only" pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking about keeping it simple and mounting a winch between the frame rails up front and possibly a stinger but I was wondering if anyone else is running this setup and if they wouldn't mind posting some pics. I've searched for a while and couldn't find much. I'd want to mount the winch on top of the frame rails for a better approach angle. Something like ORD's front bumper for the older full size Chevy's minus the tubing:
ORD bumper.jpg

Last edited:
No one is running a winch only with no bumper up front?

How many 80 series are running no front bumper, let alone with a winch? I highly doubt you'll get many pics of this setup.

I did this for a while on my 85 4runner. I just extended the frame horns out a bit with some angle iron, mounted the winch plate on top and added the winch. I cut the front hoop off my old smittybuilt bumper at an angle and welded it to the winch plate. Not all that pretty and left the headlights a bit too vulnerable but it worked well and in the case of my 4runner it helped with steering feel buy stiffening the frame. Not sure if I have a pic but it doesn't matter cause its not an 80

I thought someone out there might. Just a thought :meh:.

I been thinking about the same thing. I want to either buy a generic winch plate and then build up from there with a trimmed bumper untill I can build the rest including wings. Unfortunatly I can't find any DIY winch plates that some fab places used to sell. However summit has a generic plate for $36. I wondering if 3/8" main plate is overkill or is 1/4" pushing the upper limit with the weight of these rigs. Maybe a vendor like 4x4labs could put a DIY kit together. It doesn't seem overly complicated. Alot of people have the skills here to assemble one. I would like to build my own, however resources for affordable steel plate/bending/clean cuts and work space is the real downside. I like the approach that Demello fab did on VCcruisers modafied FJC bumper. Even if someone would just sell the wings would be awsome.

86tuning might have some more pics from his very clean installation.

Last edited:
MetalTech's bumper will be the closest you will find commercially. I'm planning on shoehorning a winch on mine when I get the money for a winch! LOL

Sorry, i had to update my last post due to my stupid phone.

I do like the metal tech design, however i want to go with a "plate" style bumper. Metal tech's winch plate looks like a good platform to build off of.

No one is running a winch only with no bumper up front?

How many 80 series are running no front bumper, let alone with a winch? I highly doubt you'll get many pics of this setup.

Here you go.

Although, I did install the bumper afterward; but this is what it would look like:

attachment.php

okay, I'll play

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/447707-winch-inside-stock-bumper-fzj80.html

You're not really going to improve approach angle with the winch above the framerails, IMO. Mounting it up top would stick it further forwards, unless you move the a/t cooler and trim the snot out of the grille panels.

If you want your fairlead up higher you can mount the winch BACKWARDS with the motor on the other side, so that the line spools in over the spool instead of under, and mount your fairlead up higher. This is how the factory winches are mounted. Custom brackets would be required, of course. This would keep the winch weight lower for better c.o.g. This would also shorten the wiring required on the FZJ because the motor would be closer to the battery.

attachment.php

attachment.php

First off, thanks for the pics! The only thing I don't like is how every pic has the winch mounted to a plate that is bolted underneath the frame rails. The ORD winch mount extends the winch mounting area forward a little and above the frame rails. I'll probably take it to a fab shop, show them the design in the pic, and have them fab it up. I'm moving to Colorado Springs this summer. Anyone know a good local fabricator in the Colorado Springs area? If I could lay down a decent bead I would try it myself, but I have a long way to go with the welding skills :eek:. Thanks fellas :cheers:

OP, buy a used MIG welder, and practice a little bit. Experiment with it. Find a buddy who knows more than you do about welding, have him help you. You will save yourself tons of time and money learning this skill and being able to fix things you break on your rig. In the long run, the machine will pay for itself. My $.02

Yeah I was thinking about getting a Mig with a nitrogen tank so I could do really thin stuff as well as thick. Right now I just dabble with my buzz box. Not very forgiving, but cheap.

Here you go.

Although, I did install the bumper afterward; but this is what it would look like:

attachment.php

Sean did you put your stinger bumper on the new one?? Where are the pics?

I think I'll just put it in the stock bumper. Cheap and simple. I've already chopped and heruclined the stock bumper, and its not like what I want to do is going to really protect the winch in the case of a collision. Thanks for the input fellas. When I do my thing in a few months, I'll post pics. Thanks.

kbahus, I really like that design. Would you do it again minus the wings? I'll be moving to Colorado Springs this summer and would easily drive to Ft. Collins...

Yeah it would be no problem to replicate. My friend did the welding and already said he would be game to build more. Just let me know! I would love to check your truck out with the big tires too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom