Front winch bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Been researching bumpers, and one on the short list is the arb deluxe for 80. I saw that it doesn’t have any recovery points, does anyone know if you can keep the factory recovery points in place? Also I have HF badlands winch that I can use for now, does that fit to this bumper ?

Thanks

You can keep the factory tie down points but they are just that. Used to tie the car down during delivery or on the back of a flat bed. The factory points aren’t rated and shouldn’t be used for a recovery. There’s actual rated recovery points available that use the same bolt holes in the chassis though

Thanks. I thought these were good for recovery and are tow points too. Do you happen to know what I can replace them with

@TRAIL TAILOR makes some nice recovery points that go in place of the tie downs. That said I and many others have used the stock tie down points for recovery many times without issues.

You can keep the factory tie down points but they are just that. Used to tie the car down during delivery or on the back of a flat bed. The factory points aren’t rated and shouldn’t be used for a recovery. There’s actual rated recovery points available that use the same bolt holes in the chassis though
I've seen this posted on Mud before, but have never seen this substantiated. Can you come up with some documentation to the fact? I've been using them as recovery points for years, as do other's I know. They sure seem strong enough for me.

I've seen this posted on Mud before, but have never seen this substantiated. Can you come up with some documentation to the fact? I've been using them as recovery points for years, as do other's I know. They sure seem strong enough for me.

No documentation sorry bud, I could dig the tie down points out of the shed and take a photo of that and a rated one side by side if you like? I don’t think I’ve thrown them away.

But even without the photo you can probably guess which one is going to become a projectile if things turn to sh*t

No documentation sorry bud, I could dig the tie down points out of the shed and take a photo of that and a rated one side by side if you like? I don’t think I’ve thrown them away.

But even without the photo you can probably guess which one is going to become a projectile if things turn to sh*t
So you've had one fail? Or are you just saying that there are heavier duty one's available (like off the Tundra)? I'd like to know because I use them.

At least one in our club has failed...Sent the shackle rocketing into the spare tire and dented the spare rim. The welds can fatigue and crack after years of being used as rock finders. Worth an inspection before use.

So you've had one fail? Or are you just saying that there are heavier duty one's available (like off the Tundra)? I'd like to know because I use them.
No I haven’t, but I have never used them because they’re not rated for a recovery.

There's at least one thread on here with pictures of a failure. It happens, maybe rarely, but it definitely has happened.

If you're concerned about recovery points and you plan on wheeling your rig you should look into other bumpers the ARB is pretty thin and bends quite easily.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about recovery points and you planned a wheel your rig you should look into other bumpers the ARB is pretty thin and bends quite easily.
BFE2882D-6C09-46F7-AF2F-87C32CFEB78D.jpeg

You can keep the factory tie down points but they are just that. Used to tie the car down during delivery or on the back of a flat bed. The factory points aren’t rated and shouldn’t be used for a recovery. There’s actual rated recovery points available that use the same bolt holes in the chassis

I’ve beat the snot out of the 80 series factory recovery loops without issue. They’re perfectly fine unless you’re a hardcore tough guy rock crawler or live in the salt belt where the welds have been compromised. Otherwise, spend your money elsewhere.

I've heard that the tundra (2007 & up) have some beefy recovery points and can be made to fit an 80

If you're concerned about recovery points and you plan on wheeling your rig you should look into other bumpers the ARB is pretty thin and bends quite easily.

because those are jacking points for a HiLift jack, not recovery points

I’ve beat the snot out of the 80 series factory recovery loops without issue. They’re perfectly fine unless you’re a hardcore tough guy rock crawler or live in the salt belt where the welds have been compromised. Otherwise, spend your money elsewhere.

ok, I hope you don't have one let go on you. the proper ones aren't that expensive though, I paid $40-50 for each of mine from a shop local to me. Most of the guys I see around our area have the yellow RoadSafe brand ones (dunno what mine are called). they are shaped to avoid your snatch strap contacting the bottom lip of an ARB winch bar.

@DKW these are the ones I have, I can't find an online store for you though. Recovery points

Last edited:
because those are jacking points for a HiLift jack, not recovery points

ok, I hope you don't have one let go on you. the proper ones aren't that expensive though, I paid $40-50 for each of mine from a shop local to me. Most of the guys I see around our area have the yellow RoadSafe brand ones (dunno what mine are called). they are shaped to avoid your snatch strap contacting the bottom lip of an ARB winch bar.

@DKW these are the ones I have, I can't find an online store for you though. Recovery points
Damn!!!

For $50 each, I better be making these!!!!

I'll sell them for $45 each!

@TRAIL TAILOR makes some nice recovery points that go in place of the tie downs. That said I and many others have used the stock tie down points for recovery many times without issues.

No doubt, they are commonly used. There has been some pretty hideous failures of the tie down loops when used for recovery.
And not after have snot beaten out of them by hardcore rock crawler types.

No doubt, they are commonly used. There has been some pretty hideous failures of the tie down loops when used for recovery.
And not after have snot beaten out of them by hardcore rock crawler types.
That’s it, and it won’t happen during your hardcore rock crawling, it’ll happen getting bogged on that cruise along the beach or something simple

@MoJ i found a recent one for you Man killed by snapped recovery strap in QLD - Pat Callinan's 4X4 Adventures

Thanks all for the comments. I will look for a different bumper or get this bracket, although they will still need a shackle and they are quite hard to get to when bogged down in water/mud.

It seems those brackets should be put on all 80’s. I bet a lot of people use the tie down points, I have been.

Btw what bumper is that pictured in the post above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom