Front Wheels locked? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone... fajjas80 here.. recently totalled my 94 80 by rear ending a trailer..survived.. well I just got a 95 80 yesterday and have a question. Almost at the end of the test drive I put the 80 in 4L and drove it for a 1/8mile.. then put it back in 4H.. reversed about 150ft to unlock the front wheels.. well.. the problem is that whenever I turn half to full lock steering.. my front wheels feel like they are locked..just like it feels when its in 4L..

I put it in 4L again this morning.. then back in neutral.. then reversed.. but it still feels the same..real tight..stops when i turn the wheel full lock.. HELP!!

what should I do?

1) these cruisers are full time 4wd so the front tires will never be disengaged
2) NEVER put these cruisers in 4lo on the street, it will do bad things
3) somethings bound up, its probably your center diff not unlocking.
4) good luck

If you didn't turn on your front locker then it is definitely the center diff lock.

Just drive straight ahead for a short distance. I can take a few seconds to unlock sometimes. If that doesn't work, put it in 4low and take it out of 4low several times. That should do it.

If that doesn't do it, let us know and we'll discuss next steps.

Texasjack/JS..thanks for suggestions.. I had diff locks in my 94...not this one.. I put it in L to H about 10 times..reversed..went forward..2nd to last time even heard the click when you can hear it unlock..still when I turn it more than half steering left or right..i can hear the front tires squealing..lot more squealing when I'm backing up and turning.. please let me know next steps..and thanks again..

do yu have mis matched tires with a big varyience in tread depth? if so you might have a siezed viscous coupler inside your t case

Jack up a front tire and see of it's really locked or not.

It sounds like your center diff lock is not releasing or you have a seized viscous coupler.

It seems odd that your diff lock is not releasing since you do not have a center diff lock button. If your truck came out of low, I would think that the center diff lock would release also but that isn't a certainty.

Here are a couple of threads that will help you figure out what is the real problem:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/112917-tyre-squeal-when-turning.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/422144-center-diff-lock-question.html

Also so a search and read every thread you can find on "center diff lock stuck" and "center diff lock issues". You'll find everything you'll need to know on how to figure out what is wrong as well as how to fix it.

Before I did any real work on the transfer case or differentials, I'd make sure the center diff lock switch on the top of the transfer case was working properly:

Slee - Fixing a Center Diff Lock Indicator (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/456813-aaaaaaaahhhhh-diff-lock.html
Troubleshooting the Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Center Diff Lock (CDL) | Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/382781-no-diff-lock-abs-lights-low.html

If you don't come out of this with an understanding of the problem, post up and we'll try to help.

btw, if you have a seized viscouc couper i have one i took out of my cruiser to put a pt kit in, its in perfect working order

well I just got a 95 80 yesterday and have a question.

Did the Previous Owner of this truck do any MODS to it?
Like installing a CDL button / 7pin mod?

guys.. thanks a lot again.. I jacked the front drivers wheel up.. put in neutral and no e-brake.. the wheel was locked..not moving at all.. i looked at the sensors on the transfer case..3 of em.. blew dust/dirt out of them..more like the connectors.. i put in reverse to park it and heard a grinding noise..like driveline ..from the drive shaft.. put it back in D and it wasn't grinding and was smooth..although did hear some rattles..

I tried to remove the Front DS but I don't have power tools and don't want to break anything..

I'll keep reading on other threads..but the grinding rear DS while reversing REALLY concerns :( me..

Did I break something?

The transmission was likely spinning when you changed gears. You don't need the engine running for the test. Just put the t-case in neutral. Leave the transmission in park. Lift the wheel and try to manually roll it. If it won't spin, do the same with a rear wheel. If that won't spin, the trouble is in the transfer case. If the rear wheel spins but the front doesn't, the trouble is in the front axle.
Your viscous coupler is probably frozen, not a big deal. My wife's has been frozen for years. It can be either fixed or removed entirely. If the problem's in the axle, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Your viscous coupler is probably frozen, not a big deal. My wife's has been frozen for years. It can be either fixed or removed entirely.

I don't know how many times I've read this line, and it just keeps getting funnier...:grinpimp:

oh dear...

if anyone needs one i have one thats taking space in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JS..I'm gonna PM you for the VC.. thanks man..

Spike.. I did the steps you asked.. Put the trans in Park and T-Case in N and tried to roll the tires.. The front one didn't budge at all... the rear one moved/rolled 3 inches side to side.. which was probably because trans was in Park right?..

i thing i did notice even when i put the jack yesterday was that the tire was trying to squeal when it was being lifted from the ground. this was true for the front and rear today.. i have jacked up my previous 94 80 and didn't experience that obviously..

the rear one moved/rolled 3 inches side to side.. which was probably because trans was in Park right?..

Not right...

Since front and rear did not turn, then chances are high that the coupler is frozen.

Your t-case was in neutral and having the tranny in park would not have prevented the tires from turning.

Yep, the 3" of movement you got was the lash in all the components. The squeal you get when you lift it is because the drivetrain is bound up and releases as you take the weight off the tire. Sounds like the VC to me. Personally, I'd pull it and install a CDL switch. My wife's truck is not completely locked, works more like a limited slip, so I'm not messing with it, but if it gets annoying I'll just yank the VC and run it open, just like the early FJ80's are. The VC is not necessary IMO.

Yes Spike.. just like you said .. sounds bound up.. I pulled the switch on top of the T-Case and will clean and install it back and see if that makes a difference. I read on here about testing the switch with a 9v battery as well.. I saw this nice write up which I want to do but am short of tools and will need to take it somewhere..any helpers in the oc area?
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/124794-tutorial-removing-viscous-coupler-photos.html

thanks again Spike..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom