Front wheel oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know at a glance why my front wheel would be leaking oil? It is oil and not brake fluid. How big of a PITA is it to fix?

IMG_4382.jpg

Anyone know at a glance why my front wheel would be leaking oil? It is oil and not brake fluid. How big of a PITA is it to fix?

Axle oil seal has failed, and gear lube from the diff is leaking out.

Time to rebuild the knuckles, because you will have to take them out to get to the axle oil seal(s). A messy job that may take you a weekend to do the first time, but not particularly difficult.

I like the heavy duty seals you can buy from Marlin Crawler.

Looks like the axle seal that separates the diff fluid from the birfield/wheel bearing grease has failed. It's a big job but not too bad. Get the full kit with knuckle bearings and the felt and rubber knuckle wipers

Quick question as I'm looking at a rebuild kit:

How does one know which shims to use? Is it 100% necessary to have the $500+ OEM tool that Marlin Crawler would try to sell me?

Quick question as I'm looking at a rebuild kit:

How does one know which shims to use? Is it 100% necessary to have the $500+ OEM tool that Marlin Crawler would try to sell me?

No it is not 100% necessary to use the knuckle centering tool, just keep track of the shims you remove from each location.

Also just get in touch with Cruiser Outfitters, they will help you out with all the parts you're going to need, and answer any questions you have.

First time I did it, it took a whole weekend, which included new calipers and rotors while I was in there. Next time i had both sides done in about eight hours. Get the Cruiser Outfitters kit. I recommend getting a wheel knuckle stud without a head to hold everything together while putting the backing plate back on. Lining it all up can be a PITA!

First time I did it, it took a whole weekend, which included new calipers and rotors while I was in there. Next time i had both sides done in about eight hours. Get the Cruiser Outfitters kit. I recommend getting a wheel knuckle stud without a head to hold everything together while putting the backing plate back on. Lining it all up can be a PITA!

Tell me more about this knuckle stud without a head...

I like the heavy duty seals you can buy from Marlin Crawler.
Me too, original felt&rubber leaked grease a little already when just installed.

And use this kind of axle seal, there is no need for the centering tool if these are used.
1599544667369.jpeg

Me too, original felt&rubber leaked grease a little already when just installed.

And use this kind of axle seal, there is no need for the centering tool if these are used.
View attachment 2429473

View attachment 2429473
@-MaTTi-
Is that the Marlin seal, or something better?

Last edited:
It is a messy job, but not a difficult one.

Dyno

Dirty but easy enough that the wife got her hands dirty rebuilding the knuckle.
Kurts from Cruiseroutfitters kit was complete and I would recommend going that way.
Agree on using existing shims just pay attention to how you remove them. Nice to have bearing race driver set and buy as many rolls of paper towels you can carry out of the store. Your gonna need em!

E23D3C1B-751D-43E2-8C37-B96694D5243B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom