Front wheel grinding noise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a rotational grinding noise coming from the drivers side front. Its a 93 Pickup, 4wd,22RE. I really don't know what it is, but from searching this section I think it may be a brass bushing somewhere in the inards of the front end that others have mentioned.

It doesn't make the noise constantly, but regularly.

So...how long can I drive like this? I plan on digging in there and fixing it asap, but need to make a two hour trip at the end of the week and don't want to get stranded or wreck and die in the middle of the night and don't have time to fix it beforehand.

Thanks for the help/advice

Brian

My son's 4Runner is making the same noise, but only when the front hubs are locked. We tore it apart and sure enough the bushings in the spindle on the drivers side are dry, they will actually spin in the spindle. We put it back together for the time being till he sourced the parts, now we just need to find the time to swap them out.

I'll assume that your truck has that silly ADD system, no manual hubs. If this is the case, then what you could do for the time being is install manual hubs, and unlock them. Very easy swap, you just need a set from an IFS truck. Then when you have the time, tear it apart and fix it. You just can't use 4WD for the time being.

Sorry, should have mentioned it before but my truck is already manual hubs. This noise is occuring with them unlocked and in 2wd.

I just installed new calipers and pads hoping that would take care of it, but it didn't.

I'm just worried because I don't know if i'm going to lose a wheel going down the highway or just shorten the life of something in the front end (which i'm not too worried about because I'll be fixing whatever I find in the next 3 or 4 weeks).

Thanks for the reply though.

Brian

Did you turn your rotors?

Did you jack up the front and spin thr wheels/listen?

I had a problem similar to that. I jumped to the worst conclusions...cv shafts, bearings, no grease, etc. Turns out a tiny rock had gotten behind the rotor and every once and a while it would grind. I pulled the rotor off and the little guy fell out and I was on my way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom