Front wheel bearings coming loose every 1000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They like to sell bearings.
👆🏽💯

As long as the bearings are serviced at the recommended intervals, preload set properly, and breakaway in spec, then they’ll last hundreds of thousands of miles. My 100 has 235k miles and is still on the original wheel bearings.

👆🏽💯

As long as the bearings are serviced at the recommended intervals, preload set properly, and breakaway in spec, then they’ll last hundreds of thousands of miles. My 100 has 235k miles and is still on the original wheel bearings.
Mine looked pretty much new at 180k miles. I just repacked and let em ride

👆🏽💯

^^^^^

Absolutely.

Folks that do a lot of water crossings or beach roaming the exception. I got my 80 series when it was just barely 3 yrs old and had about 70K on it (Corporate Vehicle). So during my base-lining I just chose to replace the wheel bearings (though all looked to be fine).

That was 22 years ago and I have 330K on it now....bearings (Koyo's) are still holding up. U-Joints are the originals, that's what really blows me away. But I do all the maintenance and repairs on it. So there hasn't really been any P/O abuse.

The Toyota Factor Service Manual shows the front bearings themselves as non-reusable parts, but the service schedule shows bearing repacks at 30K service intervals. Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Thanks,

T.
That's only if race removed. Race and bearing are matched/seated together. Which is not removed, during a wheel bearing service, unless one is replacing bearings.
Brake rotor wheel hub.JPG

Last edited:
Here's another one of those "must be read in proper light".

d. "torque 38 - 57 in-lbf". It would be much clearer, if read: "As starting point torque, before setting preload"
e. It would be much clearer, if read: "Then set preload, torquing adjusting nut as much as need to reach 9.5 - 15lbf of breakaway preload on/as read on spring scale".

Wheel bearing Preload & snap ring gap 1.JPG

Last edited:
I'm at 120K for this vehicle so I opted to replace instead of just repack. It's about $80 in parts for koyo on both wheels, and I should be good until 250K+ miles.

The Toyota Factor Service Manual shows the front bearings themselves as non-reusable parts, but the service schedule shows bearing repacks at 30K service intervals. Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Thanks,

T.
Non-reusable, in this case, means they can't be fixed if damaged. It does not mean they cannot be serviced (meaning cleaned and repacked to replace the old grease, which isn't part of the bearing). For example, the oil p[an and transmission covers are considered durable parts. If the flanges get bent when they are pried off the mating surfaces, you're supposed to bend them back into (flat) shape, not throw them away because they are bent.

Non-reusable washers, seals and gaskets cannot be reused once they are installed. It's a poor choice of words, but the manual diagrams only have so much space on them. The FSM procedures are more explicit. And you do have to replace the bearings with some frequency, although it's a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom